Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR Departure

Another thing than seems wrong at EDMS is noise charges. My aircraft complies with the Chapter 6 limit (albeit with a very small margin), but I got charged as non-compliant.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

But that is because the fees table is much more complicated than “complies with the limit or not”..

The truth is that some middle-sized German GA airfields are quite expensive if you fly in with a 1.5 ton aircraft. The reasons are twofold:

1. there is a distinct jump in fees t 1.2 tons in Germany. Essentially, >1.2 to flyers (the “serious” flyers) subsidize the “leisure”/VFR pilots (<1.2 tons)

2. As a matter of fact, most of these 1.5 ton-aircraft (SR22, Bonanza, 210) do make a lot of noise and usually end up in one of the more expensive noise categories.

Hence, one single landing with such aircraft can cost up to 50€. Straubing is one of these. Augsburg is the same. Schwäbisch-Hall, too.

Still, in the total scale of things, Germany is still quite reasonable in terms of lamding fees.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Oct 16:49
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

EDMS, Straubing, is € 19,xx for my SR22 without any noise certificate. While that’s not low it’s not very expensive either.

€ 4.20 IFR fee should not upset you, Gene. Personally i don’t think it’s a “rip off”, and i’d be happy to pay that if only my airport had such an RNAV/GPS approach. It’s also true that the whole region uses EDMS for IFR training … And i practiced that approach many times simulated and they never charge me for one or two.

Hey, that’s less than two of those beers :-)

Right, Straubing isn’t all that bad.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I have to say I like Straubing. Not a bargain but not that bad. Always found the staff there friendly.

EGTK Oxford

Look if its nothing why dont they pick up the tab?

The whole point is that if you do an approach you pay for it. If you dont do an approach you dont pay for it. Its that simple. To try and extract additional funds that does not follow the rules is, well un-Germanic.

As long as people make excuses for this type of behaviour GA will go down into the toilet. It is for just this reason that AOPA is fighting user fees. The Aviation trust fund we have is overflowing. The politicians want to get their hands into it. The other thing they want t do is privatize the system. Why? Because they can get kickbacks from corporations who will add an additional fee for profits and of course pay offs. The more middle men you put between producer and end user the higher the end fee. Simple 101 business.

If I compared EDMS to LHBP its a bargain. Lets see 24 Euros compared to about 400. I dont understand why more people dont fly into LHBP

KHTO, LHTL

Because it’s too expensive, maybe? :-)

Flyer59 12-Oct-15 20:56 #17
Because it’s too expensive, maybe? :-)

Ahh But everyone knows aviation is expensive. Whats a few more Euros?

KHTO, LHTL

@C210_Flyer, it sounds like your anger is directed at the wrong people. If EDMS have to pay Munich then that is not their fault. The problem seems to come from DFS.

EGTK Oxford

My anger? Try disbelief. I hear from all sources that if you are under 2 tons you are not charged airway fees. So far I havent. I was also told that if you fly on an IFR flight plan but cancel because it is VFR before initiating the the approach there are no approach fees. So far as German airports are concerned Ive flown into EDMA and EDMS. To EDMA I always file IFR but only do an IFR approach when it is IMC. Yet I have never been charged an approach fee when I cancelled outside the IAF or even inside but outside the FAF. Only at EDMS do I get charged an approach fee because I am on an IFR flight plan.

Lets see Ive also flown into LJPZ (Slovenia), LHPP LHSM (Hungary), LFPN LFAC (France), LGKR (Greece), LYBE (Serbia), LDLO (Croatia).All IFR flights with visual landings after cancelling IFR with approach control for the airport of landing. Not one charged me an IFR approach fee because I had been on an IFR flight plan. So I find the excuse that they are charged a fee a bit dubious considering nobody else seems to be charged otherwise they would be charging as well. But then again if the word got around that an airport can charge without opposition Im sure some capitalist administrations would do just that.

The other thing I have a difficult time accepting is the “so what” attitude on this board.

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message