Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How far can you go?

@Mark 1 said max TAS is at sea level….I think he means IAS

This from my POH: (sorry, can’t get it to upload..)

Anyway max TAS is at 8000’….171kts at Max Wt…75% power 12.5GPH Best Power 55dF ROP

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 04 Oct 10:35
YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Reference please.

Especially if the aircraft can barely even reach 8000ft…

It sometimes surprises me that we live on the same continent I have said it before, and I will say it again. I thought this site was Euro GA, not UK GA. Not that it bothers me. Coming from Norway I am used to being a “minority” wherever I go (virtually or real).

Van’s, Sonex, Glasair and Lancair all advertise cruising performance at 8000’. Together that is at least 60-70% of the experimental market with tens of thousands of aircraft flying, and almost every single one of those aircraft can outclimb, outrun and fly at higher alt than a TB20GT or any other “span can” The Xenos being a motorglider, doesn’t even have a ceiling. Even the Lancair Legacy RG-550 (Conti IO-550) and the Glasair III (IO-540) is advertised with 240 KTAS at 8000’ and 242 KTAS at 8000’ respectively.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Det er akkurat riktig!

Edit: sorry my spellchecker refuses to allow anything but English!

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 04 Oct 11:05

Peter, or anyone else (probably most) that knows, what exactly is the vs <60kt limit? I have seen it mentioned from time to time and notice a lot of SE aircraft with a vs of 59kts etc but I am unsure the reason. What happens if Vs is over 60? I have a gap in my knowledge here.

United Kingdom

max TAS is at sea level….I think he means IAS

At sea level, ISA, TAS=IAS

Actually it may be true that max speed in a non turbo aircraft is reached at sea level, but at a high cost in fuel and certainly at a power setting well above 75%.

I recall seeing 165kt IAS in my TB20 at about 1000ft, full-bore i.e. about 23 GPH. That is close to 100% of max rated power. That’s the same as the above TAS at FL070.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

At sea level, ISA, TAS=IAS

Fair enough….I guess the implicit assumption in my response was “for a given %HP”…. Ass-u-me! :embarrassed icon:

What is the zero-fuel range of the common training types e.g. C150, C152, PA28-140, PA28-161, PA28-181?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message