Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How far can you go?

PA28-200R 65% Power
65% Power, because, that’s the only one that I’ve proven reliable data for, as that’s what I normally fly.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 02 Oct 18:45
EIWT Weston, Ireland

TAS is totally and completely meaningless unless the altitude and temperature is specified – as you know

So is IAS….

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I think you can optimize your range profile just by moving from the UK to a more central location in Europe, in your case 70% of your coverage is the North Sea

It could be worse! For me, this is my zero fuel range

Most of it’s the North Atlantic.

The area must be about 75% open water!

And this is the limits with a safety margin

But even then, the extreme’s can’t be reached without long cross water legs, which I prefer to avoid ;)

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 02 Oct 18:56
EIWT Weston, Ireland

So is IAS….

Can you explain why?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Who would attempt this trip based on supposed range?

There was an article in Pilot many years ago, a pilot flew a C172 (presumably with long range tanks) from Ipswich to Santiago (650NM), refuelled and flew on to the Azores (1050NM) and that was the days before GPS.

Meridian, full power to empty

[ image fixed – one has to screenshot the image from that website – see Posting Tips. EuroGA now supports image file drag/drop (see the IT/Website section) but you still need an image file; one cannot embed a website page which contains an image within it and hope that the image will appear, because the average website page contains a large number of images ]

Why is TAS irrelevant? In my aircraft I fly full power and generate TAS of about 265-270 depending on weight at FL270 and 280. Fuel burn varies. TAS is the only possible way to compare performance. Of course it is at ISA.

Last Edited by JasonC at 02 Oct 19:49
EGTK Oxford
TAS is totally and completely meaningless unless the altitude and temperature is specified – as you know
One may as well be specifying the GPS ground speed…

AFAIK the data given for performance like TAS at a certain altitude is based on the standard atmosphere, so why is it useless?

TAS at a certain altitude

Exactly – the altitude must be specified. A TAS figure by itself is useless.

Unfortunately, TAS is used by aircraft salesmen everywhere, because it yields impressive numbers with aircraft which can go high. Most unpressurised-aircraft TAS figures are obtained at oxygen altitudes, and those for turbocharged aircraft are obtained at FL200-FL250 where oxygen borders on impractical.

IAS at some low altitude, say 1000-3000ft, is a much better comparison because it is a direct measure of thrust versus drag.

One could use TAS at low altitude too but nobody does that because it doesn’t produce the desired impressive figures

Starting at sea level, ISA conditions, TAS equals IAS, and then gradually climbs above IAS as one climbs, roughly IIRC 1.5% for every 1000ft.

In reality, TAS figures mostly come from disingenuous marketing because the altitude is not quoted.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

TAS figures mostly come from disingenuous marketing because the altitude is not quoted.bq.

Alt is 8000 feet. It’s a kind of “industry standard” for cruising performance.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message