Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How can one detect a broken piston ring (high oil consumption)?

Peter wrote:

put in 1qt of modern detergent oil (for example Mobil 1 0W20 motor oil)
Obviously the latter option is not recommended by Lyco… but it does seem to work to clean the oil rings.

Is that it ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

So is that the desired effect of adding the Mobil 1 – to clean the cylinder rings ?

If that is what you’re trying to do, there is a technique that involves pulling the plugs, injecting solvent in the cylinders and rinsing.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

This really is a fasinating post>

Peter I am aware you are not willing to give away your source and I can fully understand in you taking that stance. But are these findings well known? Are numeroud A&P’s using this method? Does it work for any other dirt/debris/deposits problems such as sticking values in 0-200 and 0-300?

Bathman wrote:

But are these findings well known? Are numeroud A&P’s using this method? Does it work for any other dirt/debris/deposits problems such as sticking values in 0-200 and 0-300?

Not Peter, just a A&P with IA :

Q1: No
Q2: No
Q3: Who the hell knows ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

that is what you’re trying to do, there is a technique that involves pulling the plugs, injecting solvent in the cylinders and rinsing.

The advice i got was that it was too late in my case

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If found this thread fascinating too.

Here we went from a situation where Peter was preparing for an engine overhaul or at least pulling the cylinders, and back to the “normal” oil consumption of 1 qt per 5 hours. PFM.

Although it appears that the “additive” resolved the oil consumption, we would need to be able to repeat the experiment with the same result a few times in order to reach a certain level of confidence in the method.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 12 Dec 08:54
LFPT, LFPN

Although it appears that the “additive” resolved the oil consumption, we would need to be able to repeat the experiment with the same result a few times in order to reach a certain level of confidence in the method.

Yes, otherwise it would just be an anecdote. I for one am not convinced that this will work in many cases. Otherwise it woud already be a know SOP.

I don’t recommend this procedure to anyone.

I merely reported that it worked in my case.

Obviously it would be difficult to find multiple TB20 owners willing to do FL210 flights in succession, etc. So like most things in GA no proof will ever exist.

AFAIK LOP will melt your engine too and the assertion was never disproven with scientific rigour.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I merely reported that it worked in my case.

Hmmm, but didn’t you also make some operational changes (short, higher power flights) at about the same time ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

Hmmm, but didn’t you also make some operational changes (short, higher power flights) at about the same time ?

IIRC that did help some, but in the end the oil consumption was still significantly higher than it was prior to Malmö. Then he added the Mobil 0W20 oil and the oil consumption was further reduced.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message