Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How can one detect a broken piston ring (high oil consumption)?

I was thinking aviation oil grades used most were detergent types, ashless. PeterĀ“s observations seem to prove this not to be true or at least not very effective in the job. So I would think about changing to Diesel motor oils which must be a lot more effective in this respect. Operating conditions – low revs, high bearing loads – are similar. OK, too subversive ideas … Vic
vic
EDME

The 0W20 tip came from an expert in the field, otherwise I would not have tried it.

There are numerous reasons why your VW runs on the same oil for 20000km. One of them is that the oil keeps the oil control rings clean. Also 0W20 is a very low viscosity oil which supposedly helps these cars do more MPG (so it isn’t just a software hack ).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The 0W20 tip came from an expert in the field, otherwise I would not have tried it.

So why the secrecy ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

If somebody asks me to not disclose something, about them, etc, I respect that. I speak to a huge number of people who tell me all kinds of confidential stuff.

I post all the other stuff

Even if it reduces the resale value of my aircraft

Administrator

Fantastic photos of the plugs.

But at the end of the day this is only one example so hardly scientific.

@Bathman what would you regard as scientific, and how you go about obtaining the data?

Administrator

Double blind randomised control trial which I admit is a bit impractical.

But a few more case reports would add some weight to its value.

There are reasons for not running routinely with motor oils for more than around 5hrs (e.g. adding it in 5hrs before a service) because in the long run they can create unwanted deposits in the combustion chamber.

This 0W20 method is not suitable for long term use.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

There are reasons for not running routinely with motor oils for more than around 5hrs (e.g. adding it in 5hrs before a service) because in the long run they can create unwanted deposits in the combustion chamber.

This 0W20 method is not suitable for long term use.

OK, then just what does the 0W20 reportedly do during those 5 hours TIS that is so beneficial ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Read the previous posts Michael

Administrator
Sign in to add your message