Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Social gathering in western Germany June 29?

For anyone who is concerned that they will have difficulty finding me, here's the photo again (I'm the tall, not pretty one, and I think I have the same shirt with me!):

However, it's going to be really easy. The terminal building under the tower seems an ideal meeting place, and that's where I'll be after 10:30. There seems to be lots of choice for lunch in town.

Peter, I just took the train to get here. I think that the train I took came right past the Koln airport. It was the "S12" train, which runs every 20 minutes. It stops at Siegburg, where one changes to the STR66 tram, which brings you to Hangelar mitte, and you're an appropriately healthy 15 minute walk to the airport terminal. The train itinerary says 7 minutes' walk to change trains, but they must have timed it with a very slow person walking the wrong way at rush time, 'cause it's the same station, just a couple of platforms away! It will cost you 1/10 of the cab fare (which I really doubt is only 40 Euro!).

See you tomorrow....

Jim

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I have to cancel as well, the weather is going to be rather bad. Look at the large warm front approaching Germany and the fast moving cold front behind it. That warm front brings quite a bit of rain as you can see on the radar picture. Sunday would have been good.

Too bad, I was really looking forward. Having had to switch to plan B much earlier, I can still stick to it: arriving by car at Hangelar just before noon, happily available to pick up Peter and/or anyone else at EDDK, and hoping for a good lunch in good company.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Chance I will be very near Bremerhaven next week. So may see if you are around and say hi. Running the Maastricht-Oxford shuttle this weekend.

EGTK Oxford

It doesn't look like good VFR weather below the cloudbase but the GFS cross-sections are here:

On the way out 29/6

On the way back 30/6

EGKK 281657Z 2818/2924 28010KT 9999 FEW015 BKN025 PROB40 2818/2820 7000 RA PROB30 TEMPO 2820/2903 5000 RADZ BKN010 BECMG 2903/2906 CAVOK

EDDK 281700Z 2818/2924 17005KT 9999 BKN020 TEMPO 2818/2822 BKN012 TEMPO 2822/2910 4000 RADZ BKN008 BECMG 2903/2906 28010KT BECMG 2918/2921 VRB03KT

Routes (from FPP):

EGKA F140 DCT LYD M189 DVR L9 KONAN L607 LNO M170 NOR DCT EDDK

EDDK F110 NOR M170 LNO L607 KONAN DCT LYD EGKA

The F110 on the way back is needed to route via KOK else you get a pointless tour of the North Sea.

Note the altitude of the 0C surface in the above plots.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Okay Jason,

Sorry you can't make it here, but I understand...

I'm generally the hangar at Bremerhaven next week, though I will be sure to be, if I know that you are coming. If you taxi around as though you are going to fuel, you are looking onto the AWI hangar, and you'll see "Polar 6" in there, unless we're flying. Very likely I'll see you, as I look out to the fuel pumps. There's lots of parking on the ramp.

We're probably flying late in the week, gone for an hour or two at a time.

Ask anyone who answers the door for Jim from Canada, and we'll be connected.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Landed in Hangelar around 18:00 UTC today. Clouds today had more layers than a Danish sandwich, certainly a lot more than Gramet predicted. Along most of my route, the tops were around FL100, with some free space between layers around FL85 and FL70, plus down below, under 4000-5000.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

OK, will let you know if I can do it. Would be Wednesday if at all.

EGTK Oxford

Looks like it might get flyable (VFR) from noon on?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

My plan is to depart 0800Z to Cologne EDDK.

The IR shows high stuff (~FL300) but GFS is still confirming this as just a high layer, and the higher res UKMO IR image suggests that is indeed so, so hopefully the flight can be done between layers.

If not, I will descend below the 0C level (say FL090) or turn back and do Sunday to Bremerhaven...

Meteox, sferics and SigWx confirm the situation too.

I will be on email peter at peter2000 dot co dot uk - as per my public profile.

Look out for the pilot getting his credit card out

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message