Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Social gathering in western Germany June 29?

Museums I can think of are Hermeskeil, but is quite a distance away, not at an airfield, and in fact hard to reach unless driving; or the Technikmuseum Speyer, which IS at an airfield, but at a fair distance too.

One interesting destination could be the Extra factory, at the small field of Dinslaken somewhere north-east of Cologne; but I reckon it is too late now to request a guided tour or factory visit.

Failing all else, DAR, I'll be very glad to meet you at Hangelar, either the airfield or the Hotel, Friday 28th around 18:00 local - I'd have to come driving, then, but I hate to see nothing better come up. There has to be some kind of eatery at the airfield; or we could dine in style at the hotel.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan, that looks fine to me. It looks like I can take the train from Cologne HBF toward Cologne airport, then just keep going past to get close to Hangelar. I'm happy to meet at a suitable hotel (and probably stay there the night).

For [my perception] a lack of any more firm suggestion of a location, is a hotel in Hangelar agreeable to everyone who has kindly offered to attend? Maybe for those who fly in, a person who drives could make some airport runs to the nearby smaller airport?

Thoughts?

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I would stay in Cologne for the night, Hangelar is not that interesting

The train takes a bit less than 45 min to get to the airfield and it's a 5-10 minute walk from the train station to the airfield. Here is the itinerary, served every 20 minutes.

Thanks Achimha,

I'll visit Cologne tomorrow evening, so I don't really need a second night there (I've been before).

Depending upon the travel plans of others, I don't mind a social Friday evening, before a larger social gathering during the day on Saturday. There might be a couple of people traveling on Friday, so I'll try to best accommodate what works for their travel, and meet up however I can.

What works for you Achimha?

What about the others who have kindly said that they will join us? A hotel in Hangelar?

I would fly in and out on Saturday if weather permits (VFR only at the moment). A 90 minute trip for me.

The airfield is directly next to the tramway and you are within a few minutes of Bonn which is both a nice town (our former capital!) and offers plenty of accommodation options.

The weather forecast is not great. A strong low pressure area is supposed to arrive on Friday afternoon and bring rain and low clouds until mid Saturday when the weather is supposed to get better. It will remain rather cold.

Yeah "rather cold"! I'm Canadian, and I'm cold! It's 30C+ at home right now. I had buy a sweatshirt today!

So Achimha, you'll fly in and out of Hangelar, if the weather permits? of a different local airport? i will be wherever the group guides me to meet. What Jan has suggested seems entirely workable, unless it creates a difficulty for another person - I have absolutely no way of knowing...

Anyone else planning based upon this information?

I will see how I go. Would prob be joining from EDDK as Hangelar is a bit short for me (need to research). Can you post plans here and I will join if possible?

EGTK Oxford

I don't mind either Friday evening for dinner or Saturday for lunch, but I wouldn't come out twice.

As for the venue - the restaurant I suggested earlier is within less than 500 m walking distance from Hotel Hangelar. Both are obviously also very close to the airfield: I know neither of them, but from the looks the restaurant "Traubenwirt" may be just a little more charming/authentic.

Most likely I'll be driving by car, so I could also provide local ground transport for those who fly in. ;-)

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

So far, so good. I suggest that we focus on Saturday brunch for a get together, rather allowing the group to split itself. I will plan to arrive to Hangelar Friday evening, just for my convenience, but not for the intention of splitting the occasion in two. If people cannot come on Saturday, than Friday evening will be better than not at all, but let's aim for Saturday.

I will be planning to leave northbound mid Saturday afternoon.

If people can provide an indication of attendance here, I will count everyone, and on Friday evening try to may arrangements to assure that there is suitable accommodation for brunch.

My plan, FWIW, is to meet up with Pilot DAR at Bremehaven on Sunday pm/evening; back Sunday. That airport is IFR, Customs PNR (I need to phone them to check the "PNR" bit).

Hangelar has no Customs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message