Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Famous people who fly

This thread shows that we all have different perception of word “famous”. It’s probably related to age, geography etc. Regardless information availability I must admit that I’ve never heard of some people mentioned in this thread and that I had to google to check why they were famous for.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Alan Sugar…flies a Cirrus I believe.
Carol Vorderman..,

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 20 Apr 06:15
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Reinhard Mey is a popular german singer and songwriter. He had a Cessna 182 a few years ago at Strausberg EDAY, maybe even today.

Berlin, Germany

Edgar Rice Burroughs, according to his wiki. His stories were hugely popular in the communist darkness of Czechoslovakia…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Edgar Rice Burroughs, according to his wiki. His stories were hugely popular in the communist darkness of Czechoslovakia…

I’ve wondered how the area of Tarzana got its name… now I know… His land was in the middle of it. Interesting!

It seems to me that famous people who fly enjoy the temporary anonymity being airborne gives them, and people at the airport usually don’t make a fuss on the ground either.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Apr 15:30

I think the biggest correlation is having

• money, and
  • control over your time (not the same thing as having lots of time; creative people tend to not have that)

BTW, almost all the astronauts flew GA in retirement from NASA

Gene Cernan flew a 421C, and indeed (in Last Man on the Moon) he cited the peace which he found in it as a big plus.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I used to fly occasionally and barbecue with Bill Shepherd, who was the first commander of the international space station. He flew (and I’m guessing still flies) a Great Lakes. In NASA retirement he was as much an ‘airport bum’ as anybody else, a good guy and very hands on.

JFK soloed a seaplane in 1944

No evidence he did any flying after that, however.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Not to name drop or anything, but when I lived in Houston I was in the same flying club as Gene Kranz. Never flew with him, but he flew the same C172 that I used for my private and instrument training from time to time. He also did a talk at one of our monthly club safety evenings about the Apollo program.

Andreas IOM

Singer Jamiroquai has a green Robinson R44 which used to be hangared at EGTB (Wycombe Air Park) and may still be. It has registration G-JKAY which is a bit of a giveaway. I’ve seen others fly it.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message