Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The passing of HRH Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh, RIP

RIP one true aviator !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

He didn’t mess about.

EGLM & EGTN

That is something new I have learned today. I had no idea he was a pilot, though I understand he had wanted to join the RAF but was steered to the Navy by his guardian’s historical naval associations.

RIP.

Last Edited by skydriller at 09 Apr 19:43

Yup, a refreshingly non-PC man. RIP.

From here : “ His flying career lasted 44 years. In that time he’d flown 59 types of aircraft and logged over 5,000 pilot hours. He stopped flying in August of 1997.” Actually 5,986 hours. Not bad.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

A truly great man. RIP.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

172driver wrote:

Yup, a refreshingly non-PC man. RIP.

I don’t think you can say that. For one thing he always accepted being “two steps behind” his wife, which doesn’t strike me as very non-PC. Particularly not in the 50-60s.

If you refer to his famous public gaffes, if being rude and insensitive is refreshing then sure.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 09 Apr 20:52
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

If you refer to his famous public gaffes, if being rude and insensitive is refreshing then sure.

Most of the ‘gaffes’ were heavily embellished, if not completely made-up, by the press.

If he was ever completely bored out of his mind by the endless small talk of royal meets and decided to say something to get a reaction, I can understand that.

EGLM & EGTN

I was amazed to hear he was a pilot. I am sure not many people knew it. Mentioned here though.

And how the hell did he get to nearly 6k hrs without the IRA putting a bomb on his plane(s)? It must have been kept under 24/7 security.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

He flew turbulents and piston twins for x000 hours, way more risky than getting targeted

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Apr 07:59
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message