Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

iPads and backups

I have my iPad running EasyVFR as my main device. I always have a phone with me too which has EasyVFR loaded, but the flight plan isn’t always synced (even though it’s trivial to do).

If doing a non-domestic flight to somewhere that I’m less familiar, I’ll make sure the flight plan is loaded on my phone too. That’s just a matter of starting EasyVFR and selecting “load route” and the plan is automatically synced across.

For a multi day trip, I’ll carry a second tablet (a cheap windows tablet that I have) in case the iPad fails permanently for some reason. If flying into complicated terrain, I’ll make sure that two devices are running at all times, so that if my iPad fails, drops GPS fix or shuts down, then I’ll have a second device up and running already.

I bring a large USB battery with me on every flight, and I’ve a cigarette lighter adaptor for my iPad too.

I’ve had my iPad shut down because of overheating a few times, and I’ve had it lose GPS reception. Hence the requirement for a backup!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I carry two iPads and my iPhone 6+. I use my iPad the same way I use a map or approach chart. It is usually not open except when I need it for information. I have chosen white covers for the iPads so they absorb less heat from the sun. I don’t place them in direct sunlight, and keep them covered when not in use. I don’t have the iPads mounted, I normally have them on the co-pilot seat. I make sure all the devices are set to airplane mode so that I don’t waste energy trying to get a cellular connection. I have a power connector that will power two iPads if needed. I use my panel equipment for navigation and traffic and continuous weather, Some weather is easier to analyze using the iPad, such as planning route around convective weather, as this can be accomplished by rubber banding the route. I have a FS210 and find it very convenient to use the iPad to reroute or load flightplans. I normally will carry printed approach charts for my destinations. If all the iDevices failed, I would still be able to fly the route and make approaches. If push came to shove, I would ask ATC for the approach altitudes. I have two portable ADS-B receivers, a GDL39D and an Appareo Stratus 2, but I don’t use them much as I prefer using the weather data provided by my panel equipment. I have two systems that receive weather, XM via a GDL69A and ADS-B via a GDL88. I prefer to use XM on my panel and the GDL88 ADS-B weather via the FS210/Blue Tooth to the iDevices.

ForeFlight provides a sync feature when I am on the ground, so my devices have the same route information. Sync is also available in flight but I have not found a need for using it. ForeFlight also provides a pack function that uses an internet connection to download any charts that are applicable to my route and that can be fully accessible in flight when I don’t have an internet connection. I have both world wide Jeppesen support and US/Canada VFR/IFR charts and approach plates.

I feel comfortable with the iPad backups.

KUZA, United States

So which mobile device is the best to run SkyDemon et al on? I have a cheap Medion (ALDI) Tablet without SIM card and an old Samsung Galaxy S4. The phone is due to be replaced soon, probably by an S8. I categorically reject buying Apple products,so no iPad for me. What are the alternatives?

In general, the cheap tablets are cheap not because they are sold by Lidl/Aldi (or other “perceived good value” outlets that sell mostly cheap stuff) but because they contain cheap (slow) hardware. Hardware which is say 1/2 the speed of the fast option is dirt cheap, but the overall performance of the product can be really awful. If you want good performance you will pay roughly the same whether it is Samsung or Apple (with Apple having an additional “fashion item premium”). I suggest you look at the best Samsung one you can afford, with 4G of course even if you don’t want to pay out for a contract SIM card at the outset. My T705 runs everything really well (under the ancient android 4.4.2 which also runs everything) but is an old model now.

The S8 phone is good. Same camera as my S7, BTW. See the thread in the IT section about phone cameras and shooting in RAW.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Major issue in cheap tablets is that their screen is not bright enough. iPad has really bright screen that is readable almost in a direct sunlight. I had a cheap tablet that ran navigation software just fine in flight but realised it is not bright enough. It works just fine inside the house but not at all in airplane with bright environment. The screen is just too dim there.

When the tablet screen brightness is autoadjusted the device starts to draw a lot of power in bright environment. This is of course necessary to make the screen visible in brighter environment. This additional power usage generates heat and with the sun cooking the device it may overheat more easily than using it inside a house. It also means that the power consumption in flight is much greater than inside a building with no direct sunlight. So if the tablet battery has power for 8 hours when inside a house the tablet might have battery capasity only 4 hours or less when used inside a airplane because of the autoadjusted screen brightness and greater power consumption. So don’t be surprised if you run out of the tablet battery on a longer flight when the tablet isn’t connected to the charger.

EFHF

Are there still people who buy Jeppview with the 4 user keys ? This product isn’t available anymore on the Jeppesen website (worst site ever, btw) but there are some pilot shops who still offer this. Just trying to figure out what options remain available on the iPad…

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

Are there still people who buy Jeppview with the 4 user keys ?

I do. I share with one other pilot. 2 keys each is perfect for having one on a tablet and one on a laptop for printing.

This product isn’t available anymore on the Jeppesen website (worst site ever, btw) but there are some pilot shops who still offer this. Just trying to figure out what options remain available on the iPad…

As you say, worst ever. Never look at the website — look in the catalog which you can download from the website. The catalog describes Jepp’s full offerings including Jeppview with 4 keys

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thank you, @Airborne_Again ! I found what you mean in the 2017 catalog, but not in the 2018 version. Although the 2018 version only applied to “the Americas”. Can’t find the European version yet.

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

I found what you mean in the 2017 catalog, but not in the 2018 version. Although the 2018 version only applied to “the Americas”. Can’t find the European version yet.

I haven’t even found the 2018 catalog — where did you find it? In my experience Jepp usually updates the catalog late in the year.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

jgmusic wrote:

But is it all that practical to pick up a burning iPad and pop it into a bag mid-flight?

Good question. Some come with insulating gloves

I expect in reality the iPad will only be burning on one area. (where the battery is). Probably can still pick it up at the other corner… hope to never find out.

I agree; it should start off by making lots of smoke. Based on a tablet I used to fly with in 2004 (Explore IX104) it might initially “get fat” and pop open the case where the battery is.

The plan for opening the door in a gullwing plane, where a loss of a door might take out the vertical stabiliser, might be interesting. I do have one but it involves the autopilot

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message