Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Europe's craziest airspaces

Well, sure you can do that over the desert. I guess you don’t turn it off flying through L.A., if you ever do that.
I also ask myself how you want to ask for a clearance to cross a Swiss Airspace with the radio of ;-)

Alexis wrote:

I guess you don’t turn it off flying through L.A.

It’s optional either way, and I’ve done it both ways.

Silvaire wrote:

The fundamental advantage of remaining non-IFR is being able to mind your own business and fly en route where you want to go without asking permission or talking about it. Personally I think that’s the main attraction to flying your own plane, and if I couldn’t do it I wouldn’t fly.

You mean it’s better to not go to parties because there are so many people you have to talk to? It’s better to stay home alone?

Only some countries have cluttered airspaces. Look at the VFR map of Germany, it’s completely open and you can easily avoid any airspace requiring clearances for your flights. In France, the military has tremendous influence. In Germany, the military has fewer guns than Stephen Paddock and almost no airspace.

Silvaire wrote:

In the US, I very often turn off the radio en route, typically in Class E airspace.

I found it surprising in the Albatross departing Chino to the East that we spoke to no one after we left tower. During the climb you had to watch for southbound airliners into John Wayne. You could sometimes see them turn to avoid us. We were transponding. But it works.

EGTK Oxford

jwoolard wrote:

IIRC the Swiss publish a map of activated airspaces the day before.

Yes. Here to be exact:

https://www.skybriefing.com/portal/dabs

It is totally accessible for everyone and also free. It will give you an immediate overview of what is going on. Very practical.

As for contact with ATC, particularly in CAS they do like professional and to the point voice. No novel lenght radio calls with unnecessary information, just who you are, where you are at what altitude, where you want to go next and what you require. If they hear people talk like pros, they are much more likely to just clear you rather than getting the idea “um this one might be trouble” and keep you out. Unfortunately, LP and all nonwithstanding, there are still folks around whose radio capabilities make me cringe every time I hear them.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Sure, if there is no wind. On Friday, EGKA-LEMH, FL120, crossing a little bit of the Pyrenees, 40kt tailwind, I was unable to hold altitude at max power. I had to disconnect the autopilot (just before it pitched up to Vs) and dropped about 200ft, flying just above Vs, for about a minute. Italian ATC never noticed… We were a few k ft above the terrain and doing some 180kt GS. The 180kt quickly dropped by some 70kt. An interesting flight… Do that in the Alps, 1000ft AGL, it could be terminal… but to fly at a safe height you need to be IFR.

You can have effects on top that do not translate inside the valleys. Did you get a strong updraft beforehand (or after)?

One interesting thing to remember is that the wind / air never goes “into” the mountain, so at some point, the downdraft has to stop. If you go towards a ridge with a downdraft (Steve Fosset’s last flight, if memory doesn’t betray me), then you might obviously be in trouble, but if past a ridge pushed downwards, a hudge downdraft might push you down, but as long as you keep cool above Vs, there’s a much smaller chance that you actually get pushed into the ground.

Sideways, you can always go to the centre/sunny side.

Valley flying has given me many of my favourite flights, and haven’t met anyone who hasn’t been amazed by it!

Did you get a strong updraft beforehand (or after)?

Yes of course

but as long as you keep cool above Vs, there’s a much smaller chance that you actually get pushed into the ground.

I always say that but many disagree

Actually I think you can get pushed down into the mountain if going fast enough, and close enough to it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Actually I think you can get pushed down into the mountain if going fast enough, and close enough to it.

Well, the ridges and peaks. That’s why it’s recommended to not cross a ridge 90 degrees to it – if you hit descending air you might not be able to turn away before hitting the ridge. Approach it at a 45 degree angle and you’re not having to turn nearly as much to avoid the ridge.

Andreas IOM

This is where I find the vertical cut in SD very useful to improve understanding of complex airspaces, that I find missing in GP (I only did a 2d trial though, maybe I just did not find the feature).

ESMK, Sweden

Any offers on the above?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message