Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

Zero in Norway also. I was at a conference in a hotel when it happened. at 10:00 on Saturday morning sometimes in mid February, all restrictions where off. Covid could no longer be called a disease threatening national health, and that was it. It was a bit odd at the hotel. 2m rule, masks etc, then the next second – nothing

Half a year later I finally got covid, despite 3 vaccines It was like a really bad influenza, not any worse or better than those who got it early on with no vaccines. IMO Covid is a perfect example of mass hysteria gone (terribly) wrong.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Zero in Spain, in spite of an uptick in cases. Masks mandatory in pharmacies and hospitals. 4th vaccination (often in combination with influenza) slowly being rolled out, but I’m wondering whether there will be much uptake by those who are not vulnerable.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

From here

Mooney_Driver wrote:

And if I hear some of those radicals proclaim openly that climate change can not be stopped by democratic means, it sais more than enough about the political nature of those guys.

Great post Mooney Driver. And to this specific point: once “those guys” have established a dictatorship, it will steal more future of more children than whatever Greta blames on the current system. Not to mention that, at this point, climate change will probably be at the bottom of those guys’ worries. Nobody will be in a position to criticize them anymore. School strikes will be illegal like any other form of protest.

I have to say, I am much more worried by the rise of right-wing populism in the Western world than by climate change. Not entirely ignoring the latter either: I live without a car, travel by train, do not go on intercontinental vacation; all this more than offsets my limited private flying.

This is eye-opening too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wynes_Nicholas_CO2_emissions_savings.svg

Last Edited by etn at 04 Dec 20:44
etn
EDQN, Germany

etn wrote:

I am much more worried by the rise of right-wing populism in the Western world than by climate change

That would seem to be quite an inflammatory statement and one which, if I remember correctly, is against the spirit of euroga where politics should not enter.

UK, United Kingdom

aart wrote:

4th vaccination (often in combination with influenza) slowly being rolled out, but I’m wondering whether there will be much uptake by those who are not vulnerable.

I went for my 4th shot now that Pfizer has a Omikron vaccine out. The vaccination center was totally empty, 4 people there at the time. I was half an hour early but was waved right through.

A few hours after that I was with some friends, all of which I knew to be vaccinated during the peak of the pandemic. when I mentioned that I just had been vaccinated they went bananas with conspiracy theories. Nowadays one better shuts up about it. I’ve given up on humanity when it comes to these kind of things.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I’ve given up on humanity when it comes to these kind of things.

So there simply cannot be perfectly understandable causes for these “conspiracy theories” other than humanity is hopeless?

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

So there simply cannot be perfectly understandable causes for these “conspiracy theories” other than humanity is hopeless?

What would that be?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

What would that be?

IMO the whole Corona affair is a display in mass hysteria orchestrated from the governments. “Conspiracy theories” is the natural reaction to it, because it is a simple explanation to this overreaction, which most people in the end think this has been. I mean, “Corona passes” for instance, and other weird stuff like masks and these vaccines that hardly work at all, and never did.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

The reason for most of those theories is that people don’t like the facts they are facing and are trying to make themselves believe something more pleasant which works with their world view.

Since the internet has been invented those theories have spread like wildfire and now it is possible for each and everyone to come up with such nonsense and spread it.

And of course politicians and other con – men and women use this to their advantage. Göbbels would have gotten a serious hard on about the possibilities the likes of him have today.

Covid showed that it was possible to convince a majority of people (eventually but now we are there) that it is all a hoax by the evil government and it never happened. Worse, even people who lost dozens of friends, relatives and others will run after these rat catchers. It’s a post factual society, going back to the dark ages where people could be burnt because some people thought they are wizards or witches. Only today we call this cancel culture, wokeness, and so on.

LeSving wrote:

IMO the whole Corona affair is a display in mass hysteria orchestrated from the governments. “Conspiracy theories” is the natural reaction to it, because it is a simple explanation to this overreaction, which most people in the end think this has been. I mean, “Corona passes” for instance, and other weird stuff like masks and these vaccines that hardly work at all, and never did.

QED

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Well, China still has hard restrictions everywhere and all the time since the beginning. Harder than we ever had, despite the fact that they have been “loosing up” lately. Do you think this is OK in general as well? Do you think the student uprising there is all nonsense, all the students are conspiracy theorists?

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message