Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

It absolutely has.

Politics are already a subject many fora do ban for good reason, but Religion is worse in that sense by a multitude. After all, seeing how many wars are fought for political reasons vs religious wars, it should speak for itself.

I strongly suggest to stop religious battles here. They do quite massive damage if left going.

After all, we are all here for aviation. Even though some people will tell that this can be religious in it’s own right

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The only thing that causes more flame wars than religion are wars over whether vi or emacs is better amongst unix admins.

Andreas IOM

“The only thing that causes more flame wars than religion are wars over whether vi or emacs is better amongst unix admins.”

@Alioth what do I need to put into Google translate to understand that?

France

Vi and emacs are text editors, used by unix anoraks

I have used vi and it is truly horrible…

The religious debate here has been civilised so far.

Brexit is still the biggest challenge

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter_Mundy wrote:

I would argue makes it a criminal organization.

Yes, crimes have been committed by Church persons and even Popes. Yes those crimes should be handled under criminal law.

That does not change all the rest above or make Catholic Church a criminal organization. Otherwise most any long-standing human organization would be a criminal one. For the latter it would have to be widespread or an organizational policy or target in itself. It is not questionable that this makes a big difference between Catholic Church and the Calabrian mafia. Furthermore I venture to say, that, as reported above for child abuse in Germany, it even makes a big difference between Catholic Church and other non-church organizations reported as civilised. By that same rule all governments would be criminal organizations.

As Jesus said: he who is free of all blame/crime be the first to throw a stone…

I hate to see politicians debating all the time about all the bad things the other guys have done vs the good things they intend to do. Disproportionately criminalizing the counterpart is a destructive approach to problem solving.

And yes I agree the debate has been mostly civilised. Respectful debate is always useful.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

alioth wrote:

whether vi or emacs is better amongst unix admins.

The answer is obvious, but since I don’t want to contribute to a flame war, I’ll say no more…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Antonio wrote:

Otherwise most any long-standing human organization would be a criminal one.

The difference is: Gender discrimination and homophobia is not something that is done by few thirsts that fail (as in any organization as you rightly quote). It is a policy for that organization! And the cover up of child abuse has not been done by few but by the entire organization.

And that is exactly the difference between a criminal organization and an organization with some criminals: The criminal act is established as doctrine not as transgression against the doctrine. Like with the south Italian “waste management business” …

Germany

alioth wrote:

The only thing that causes more flame wars than religion are wars over whether vi or emacs is better amongst unix admins.

C’mon everyone knows that if you can’t do it in ed, you should seriously think about buying a Nintendo rather than a Linux machine ;-)

Germany

You mean ED as in CP/M 2.2?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You mean ED as in CP/M 2.2?

Not sure if that is the same as the Unix ed – the only CP/M machine I ever used was the C=128 and I did not use the CP/M mode that often …

Germany
Sign in to add your message