Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

We need to live on our earnings. People have to work for their lifestyle. Scotland is educating many kids to dependency – on drugs as much as on handouts. School ( and University) does not prepare them for employment, and often does not purport to do so.
The UK Government is boasting this week about investment from India. We need to invest in productive industry – and leaving the money in taxpayers pockets would be a good start. We used to be told about “Invisible Exports” – we’’re not now told of “Invisible Imports”, due to foreign investment.
The independence crunch will not be the referendum, but the collapse of the UK pound.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
ESME, ESMS

What’s the problem?

Kuzey Kıbrıs Türk Cumhuriyeti has been a de facto state for almost half a century, and it’s not unreasonable that FF users be made aware so that they can plan accordingly.

It would not be in any airman’s interest for FF to ignore the KKTC’s existence for the sake of ineffectual decades-old political posturing.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

From here

It’s a joke in the US that the work of the National Parks Service is to keep people other than themselves away from the parks. Like many government agencies they have become an ideology driven activist organization, not a public service organization. This situation demonstrates it pretty well, but it’s endemic.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 May 14:43

Silvaire wrote:

It’s a joke in the US that the work of the National Parks Service is to keep people other than themselves away from the parks. Like many government agencies they have become an ideology driven activist organization, not a public service organization. This situation demonstrates it pretty well, but it’s endemic.

I can’t say that’s the impression I got when visiting national parks in the US, but of course YMMV.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Agree with Airborne Again. But over the years the proportion of actively outdoor staff seems to have decreased, with a corresponding difficulty in obtaining information at the centres, which in some parks are mainly sales outlets to coach groups.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Now I know how the US National Parks moved to being a money making organization catering to foreign tourists I guess the money helps them pay their salaries and supports their agenda.

I toured some of the big ones in 2018, Yellowstone etc. It reminded me of Disneyland. The wildlife was the best part, especially outside of the parks themselves in the surrounding areas. Otherwise amazingly limited access to nature in the parks, crowds and lines of people where they’re allowed to go, condescending staff, generally a waste of time and money IMHO, unless you were trying to entertain kids.

Once we escaped the Parks, there were some memorable moments. Leaving Jackson WY and heading to Salt Lake early was very cold on the motorcycle and we had to stop. Just then we arrived at Afton WY and I suddenly realized that’s where Aviat Aircraft is located, in the middle of nowhere. My wife tolerated me pulling up onto the ramp (no fence) and looking at some new Aviat Huskies.

You can see a lot more of nature and landscapes in the US just flying around.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 May 23:40

Silvaire wrote:

Now I know how the US National Parks moved to being a money making organization catering to foreign tourists I guess the money helps them pay their salaries and supports their agenda.

Frankly, I don’t think the staff we met had any idea we were foreign. We were not treated differently than the majority of visitors which I would expect were US citizens. But there were certainly lots of visitors.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 15 May 09:34
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Same here with the National Trust. Currently we see heavy “covid management” taking place, with only online bookings being allowed… bonkers!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From here

Malibuflyer wrote:

Last time I checked his organization had a clear policy that money is more important than kids

That one made me laugh

Germany
Sign in to add your message