Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why is there no entrepreneurial mojo when it comes to owner flown in Europe?

Peter wrote:

For example I value not breathing the viruses of 150 others and facing a ~30% chance of getting ill after a single airline flight

That is news to me. I’ve been flying airlines for 40 years now and at some stage quite regularly (such as weekly before 2001) and have many long and short haul flights but we never ever got ill after one of those. Clearly, it is not funny to fly in cattle class on overbooked flights, but you have a choice there. Business is not so expensive anymore as it once was. I use it whenever I have the chance.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Correlation vs causation debate nonwithstanding, I would suggest a 1-in-3 chance of sickness would rather point to immune system deficiency. If we really had a 1-in-3 chance of being out of commission after a flight (or after wandering out in public) I’d suggest that would qualify as a pandemic. Not to mention that modern airconditioned train carriages (say TGV) are quite airtight, yet nobody seems to panic about guaranteed post-trip illness when boarding one.

Yes, that sounds strange. I have flown 20 times per year, for 30 years and I have never been sick … except some days with very bad jet lag, especially after West to East long distance flights …

I posted the reason above, chaps… I am quite happy delighted with my immune system. My priorities as to where I hang out and on quality of life are different.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

lol, love how this thread has honed in on the immune system…
classic.

I’m going to +1 Peter’s comment though. Have you guys ever flown to Asia?
Ever wonder why the entire population basically lives in a mask?

Also, flying commercial isn’t just about getting sick, it is about getting sick and tired of some blabbly bloke/broad who will not shut up or stop touching you…
I"m not agoraphobic, but I like about a good 30-60cm between me an my fellow man… where possible.
Especially if they have particularly unbearable traits… (fat flaps hanging over the armrest, horrific breath, an evil demeanor toward their kids or spouse, caustic attitude for stewards, or better yet, a habit of spilling food/beverage products on business attire)

That’s aside from being molested by a stranger (more in the US than here though) at security!

Yes, it is possible to get horrific diseases on aircraft. This is how a lot of the bird flu spread, same with the Zika virus.

It may not be common, or reason for panic, but certainly, there is value in not even being exposed to such things… (I think)

One of many views on this topic, this one from a scientist:
http://www.infectiveperspective.com/blog/infectious-diseases-on-airplanes

Last Edited by at 19 Jun 12:35

this one from a scientist:

I love articles from “scientists” because they went to a univvversitty and got diplooomas and all medical advice I can get for free means more money left over for avgas…

On average, plane cabin air is refreshed twenty times an hour, which is once every three minutes. That’s more than most office buildings, which completely refresh once every 5 minutes

That is self evident bollocks regarding office buildings so one has to wonder about the rest.

Here is another one which – unlike the one above – mentions air recirculation:

[from 2002] In recent years, new commercial aircraft have been designed to recirculate approximately 50% of the cabin air to increase fuel efficiency. Some older aircraft use only fresh air.

According to a 787 pilot who is on EuroGA, on the 787, the cabin air is still recirculated but the pilots get 100% fresh air

Also there is other toxic stuff apart from viruses, as a consequence of using engine bleed air. The only jet airliner in current passenger service which doesn’t have that problem is the 787.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The only airliner which doesn’t have that problem is the 787.

Since when do we believe what the industry tells us? The bleed air in turbine driven aircraft is (or can be) toxic not because it is taken from the engine compressors, but because machinery needs to be lubricated. The electrically driven compressors of the B787 are machines of their own and need to be lubricated as well and therefore the compressed cabin air can also contain traces of the lubricating agent.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Yes, if a pilot said that, then it’s definitely true!

Alexis wrote:

One of many views on this topic, this one from a scientist:

I see your scientist, and raise you one, plus all the papers they aggregated to make this one:
https://aerospace.pall.com/content/dam/pall/aerospace-defense/literature-library/non-gated/Transmission_of_infectious_diseases_during_commercial_air_travel.pdf

Welcome to science… where there are still two sides and faith is required…

BTW, they didn’t bring up common ailments, like coughs, colds, etc…

Last Edited by AF at 19 Jun 13:16
Sign in to add your message