Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Buying a family plane (and performance calculations)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

For 5, a 5 seated TB10 or 20 would be possible too. But clearly, the PA32 has a much nicer cabin for the purpose.

I found the TB20 cabin extremely uncomfortably cramped, with my head permanently wedged under the cabin roof. The PA-28-235 would certainly be an attractive alternative for my family as it is (2 adults, two pre-school children), but the six-seaters are more “future proof”.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

The PA28-235 attracts a big price premium as far as I can tell. Like the Cherokee Six, if you can close the doors then you can take off.

@MedEwok are you very tall? This seems to be a problem in the TB series even though (as measured) they have good cabin height compared to the competition. It might be something to do with angles – the TB seating is more like a sportscar with your legs out in front of you compared to Piper where you are more upright.

EGLM & EGTN

The TB GT also has maybe another 7-10cm of headroom.

if you can close the doors then you can take off.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Graham wrote:

@MedEwok are you very tall? This seems to be a problem in the TB series even though (as measured) they have good cabin height compared to the competition. It might be something to do with angles – the TB seating is more like a sportscar with your legs out in front of you compared to Piper where you are more upright.

I’m 1,92 m (6’4"?), so yes, above average. At 100 kg I’m also not very slim, I have broad shoulders. I flew only an old 1980s TB20 yet, so Peter’s GT might not compare.

In the Aquila A210, despite the bubble canopy, I also occasionally hit my head, especially in steep curves where my body always seems to want to sit “upright” relative to the horizon…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Mooney_Driver wrote:

What I like about the PA32 fusellage (which is identical with the Piper Seneca) is the huge back door for the pax and baggage and mostly club seating in the back. That certainly has family appeal. Personally I’d like the retracable version better than a straight Cherokee 6.
I have always wondered, how high is the back door from the ground on Cherokee 6? I have never seen it in person, but on pictures it looks more or less same level as flaps? Can reasonably healthy older person enter it without some kind of step?
EETU, Estonia

@ivark yes

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

MedEwok wrote:

I’m 1,92 m (6’4"?), so yes, above average. At 100 kg I’m also not very slim, I have broad shoulders.

I am 6’2 and I did fly in a original TB20, while the head room was not as good as e.g. in the Mooney, it was adequate. Where it shines is cabin width. The seats were quite a bit more comfortable however than anything I’ve encountered with Pipers and the Mooney I fly. As for head room, the worst I saw was a Robin HR100.

But with that information; i’d clearly point you in the direction of a PA32 rather than a 28. That cabin is quite a bit wider. I also found the Cessnas I flew have quite good head room.

It is very important to “try on” any airplane you intend to buy. Sit inside, check how you feel. Under no circumstance take anyone’s word beyond an initial hunch, their perception may be totally off yours. I’ve had this experience many times when someone first sat in the front row of a Mooney and wondered where all the tightness now is.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 25 Apr 21:04
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Much depends on how much junk you want to carry, in addition to kids.

The TB20 is a 2 seater if you carry all the emergency gear and loads of luggage. You can carry 3 if at least two of them are slim – well below N European average weight – and that gets harder if you have full TKS. 4 is possible and I have done it as 2 adults and 2 kids but things like oxygen and life raft had to go.

If you want 2 adults 2-3 kids and luggage, you need a big 6-seater. Ideally a cabin class one like a PA46 or a TBM

Someone who is 1.92m won’t comfortably fit in any TB20 unless the seat is well reclined. I am 1.75m and a 1.92m person will be about 10cm taller in the seated orientation, and I do just about have 10cm above my headset but that’s all

One type which I have seen work OK for a family with 3 kids was a Twin Comanche.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In some aircraft leg length matters.The DR1050 seats go down as they slide back. I have shorter legs and a longer trunk than the standard FAA/EASA certified human specification. Co-owner was much taller, with long legs, and had more headroom.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I am as tall as you Medewok, and I remember to fit nicely in Peter’s plane. I might have a pic somewhere.
Nice to know the PA32 has some room inside, they are considerably cheaper than 210s.
OTOH, don’t buy a Jodel !! Jean Delemontez was definitely smaller

I had planned for 2021 to visit a fly-in to sit in different used airframes and see which one fit me.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 26 Apr 08:38
LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message