Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Just as a side-note. There’s reports of SkyDemon having misplaced (by +1nm) points and nav aids. Something to keep in mind if you use SkyDemon.

I would also be really interested to see some examples of this; I’m not aware of any such reports coming in to us recently, and I do hope that those reporters would at least let us know about any issues that they find, so that we can investigate and correct if required.

greg_mp wrote:

Hi FF team, i’m bringing this topic back because I had an improvement idea. Planning a flight with PBN arrival, we usually have a look at https://augur.eurocontrol.int/status/ in order to check planned GPS outage, in addition to RAIM functionality once in the air. I think EFBs ccould easily bring this functionality into the pack/briefing page with a bit of scripting.

Hi @Greg_mp,

I’ll shoot this over to the team and see what we can do to get this in our backlog for investigation.

Thanks,
Josh

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

Peter_Mundy wrote:

I wonder when there will be any progress on the handling of VRP names in the pilot log – they are still getting random names – VPxx.

Is it possible to show IFR points that are not intersections?

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Sky Demon shows many more points than Foreflight – is this something in the settings I am missing or a limitation of Foreflight.

Emir wrote:

I found the same (missing points) but up to now it didn’t bother my flying so I didn’t report that to FF. Regarding navigational aids, DME LUK in Croatia (part of ILS 22 approach at LDZA) doesn’t exist at all at FF map.

Hi y’all,

Apologize for being tardy. I wanted to reach back out and answer your questions on waypoints. Today, we currently filter which IFR waypoints are shown on the map to avoid clutter. This limits terminal waypoints as we have focused primarily on enroute waypoints. When we added the Aeronautical layer 5 years, we only depicted waypoints on airways, but as free airway airspace has changed we have unfiltered about 17,000 more waypoints globally starting in 2020. As mentioned in other posts, the terminal waypoints are in the database and can be searched for so if you were to add a procedure to your, you would see them on the route line.

Happy to take a look into examples you have (send me a direct message if you would) and I will pass this request for more waypoints on to the team as well.

All the best,
Josh

KGTU, United States

Hi all,

Realizing I have been absent as of late so I wanted to share some release notes from July, August, September, & October October releases

ForeFlight 13.6 (July 2021)

Obstacles in 3D View

• Identify potential hazards along your route and establish a mental picture of final approach with a toggleable Obstacles layer in 3D View.
  • Every view within the 3D Suite supports obstacles: 3D Airports, 3D Anywhere, 3D Preview, and 3D Review. Tap the Layer Selector button in the lower-left of each one to enable Obstacles.
  • ForeFlight displays three types of obstacles: buildings (shaped like rectangles), towers (shaped like cylinders), and windmills. All other obstacle types use the tower model by default.
  • Enabling Night Mode in 3D Airports adds steady or flashing lights to obstacles that have them. Obstacle lights are red by default, but may also be white.
  • 3D Preview helps you identify potentially hazardous obstacles within 1 nautical mile of your route by highlighting them with yellow or red stripes based on your current Hazard Altitude settings (1000ft vertically for yellow and 100ft vertically for red, by default).
  • 3D View with Obstacles and more is included in ForeFlight Performance subscription plans.

Track Log Editing

• Edit your recorded Track Logs to more accurately reflect the beginning and end of your flights and automatically update Logbook entries.
  • Tap the Edit button in the bottom-right of the Track Log Graph to enter Edit mode. If the graph is hidden, tap the button at the far-right end of the timeline to reveal it.
  • In Edit mode you can drag blue bars on the left and right sides of the graph to move the track log’s start and end points. These changes are also reflected on the overhead map above.
  • While in Edit mode you can still pinch to zoom within the Track Log Graph and drag left or right to focus on different portions of the track log. Tap-hold on the graph to reveal a moveable cursor with “Start Here” and “End Here” buttons at the top; tap either of these to set the respective end of the track log at that point.
  • Tap Done to confirm the new end points and update the Track Log Graph, overhead map, and track log metrics available in the Info menu in the top-right.
  • Track Log editing is non-destructive, so you can revert your changes or make additional edits at any time simply by tapping the Edit button again.
  • If a Track Log is associated with a Logbook draft entry, trimming the track log will automatically update the auto-filled fields in the Logbook entry. Sending a trimmed track log to Logbook will similarly use the new end points for auto-filled fields.

New Rogers VFR Chart Coverages

• New Rogers Data VFR 500k charts for Serbia and the Baltics are now available as add-ons to any European ForeFlight subscription.
  • All the new charts are included at no additional cost in the Rogers Data Full Europe chart combo add-on, while Serbia is included in the existing Southeast Europe chart combo, and charts for the Baltics are available by themselves in a new chart combo add-on.

Optimized Downloads in Pack

• Packing before your flight now requires a smaller download for weather by limiting the extent of the Icing, Turbulence, and Cloud Coverage layers downloaded to only areas that overlap with your route.

Notification Preferences

• Opt-in to receive notifications about new feature releases, special offers on subscriptions, events, training, and more by enabling Marketing Push Notifications in More > Account > Notifications.

Jeppesen Chart Index Numbers

• View the chart index number along with a chart’s name for linked or purchased Jeppesen coverages to quickly find the right procedure.
  • Enable this setting at the bottom of More > Jeppesen.

Background Downloads Setting

• Optionally disable background downloads to prevent them from being interrupted and restarting due to a slow or spotty internet connection.
  • The switch to disable Background Downloads is available in More > Settings > Downloads, just below the Automatic Downloads setting switch.

ForeFlight 13.7 (August 2021)

This release features significant enhancements to the built-in ForeFlight Performance Profiles available for hundreds of aircraft types as part of ForeFlight’s Performance Plus subscription plans.

Edit Climb & Descent Performance Profiles

• Dial in the accuracy of ForeFlight’s calculations even further with the ability to bias climb and descent performance profiles to suit your own aircraft.
  • Each aircraft type that supports built-in ForeFlight Performance Profiles has climb, cruise, and descent profiles based on manufacturer data, but previously only the cruise profiles supported biasing of time and fuel calculations. Now, both the climb and descent profiles also support biasing of time and fuel, giving you more control over how ForeFlight calculates these factors for every flight.
  • Tap into the Performance Profile list from the Aircraft, Flights, or Maps views to see a list of all climb, cruise, and descent profiles. Tap Details next to any of them to access the bias adjustments.
  • Specify a Fixed Time Bias in minutes and Fixed Fuel Bias in pounds using increments as low as 0.1 for each. ForeFlight will then adjust its performance calculations by the specified amount on all subsequent flight plans.

Multiple Climb & Descent Performance Profiles

• In addition to the ability to bias climb and descent profiles, a number of popular jet aircraft now also support multiple climb and descent profiles.
  • Several dozen aircraft models from Bombardier, Dassault, Embraer, and Gulfstream provide multiple climb and descent profiles in ForeFlight, each one built using manufacturer-sourced data in accordance with the profiles defined in each aircraft’s POH.
  • The “Apply Bias to All Climb/Descent Profiles” button within each profile’s details view allows you to quickly apply one profile’s bias values to all other climb or descent profiles for that aircraft.

ForeFlight 13.8 (September 2021)

Profile View on iPhone

• Profile View is now supported on iPhone, giving you a side-on view of your route along with terrain, obstacles, and forecast weather that you can access on any of your iOS devices.
  • To support narrower iPhone screens, route metrics like Highest Point, Clearance, and First Strike have moved to a new row above Profile View, along with the toggles for Route and Flight mode that appear during a flight.
  • The Profile settings menu also moved to directly below Profile View, just to the right of the Profile layer selector.
  • Profile View is included in Pro Plus subscription plans and above.

Track Log Review Layer Selector

• A small update to the Track Log Review interface combines the four flight data buttons (Speed, Altitude, Pitch, and Bank) into a single layer selector in the bottom-left of the Track Log Graph.

GPS Data via Honeywell Apex & Aspen Connected Gateway

• In addition to flight plan transfer from ForeFlight, Pilatus pilots who fly with a Honeywell Apex FMS and Aspen Connected Gateway can now receive GPS position, ground speed, and track in ForeFlight.
  • ForeFlight’s integration with Honeywell’s Apex FMS is available with ForeFlight Performance subscription plans.

ForeFlight 13.9 (October 2021)

Enhanced Airway Details

• Tap on any airway on the Aeronautical Map to view additional details for it in the Map Sidebar, including direction-specific MEA, MOCA, and MAA altitudes, bearing, and more depending on which details are available.
  • If multiple airways exist at the point you tapped the Sidebar allows you to select between them to view the details for each.

As always there are more items to come including hit list items provided by the folks on this forum.

Appreciate your insight as always,
Josh

KGTU, United States

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

As always there are more items to come including hit list items provided by the folks on this forum.

Hi Josh, thanks for your valuable input to the forum. As a happy foreflight user, just wanted to know if it would be possible to add two things to help with frequencies.

1. can we get a list of possibly needed frequencies on a route in the flight plan printout? One of your popular European competitors does this and it’s helpful.
  2. any chance we can get a “Frequency Advisor” feature where when active, it has say the top 3-5 frequencies that might be interesting at this location and also taking into account the altitude and direction of flight?

I learned to fly in Austin so I know that in many (most) of the US one or two frequencies are all that’s needed, and they are easy to find. However in Europe, in most places there are several frequencies you might want to tune into. FIS, a nearby MIL, 2-3 nearby airfields that might have parachuting, not to mention the next FIS zone and the next 5 airports you are about to fly over. Also, some FIS have many frequencies that they might put you on, and it’s not always obvious which one. When they rattle off “change to frequency 123.456” it’s great if you already have it on your ipad or kneeboard and just validate what they said.

Happy to clarify what I’m looking for if the above wall of text is not clear. Thanks!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I second this frequency advisor. Actually I asked about this some time ago, specially tower ones, in the same way the ATIS is advised.

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

in the same way the ATIS is advised.

That would be cool, or just a box of frequencies that’s on the screen all the time and can be moved around so it’s not blocking something we’re trying to see.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Yes I would see something like on the right in portrait mode where a list of vertical boxes with colors defining TWR, ATIS and APP freq appearing when going close to the destination airport.
In the same way, having an ATIS box of the current overhead/near airport could be good too in terms of security, in a way that this airport could be an en-route alternate and then it would be nice to have current ATIS, in case we have an issue, we are prepared to take this ATIS.
I have been trained to do that in IR, and any help on this could be nice.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 17 Nov 07:15
LFMD, France

Another vote for the frequency feature!

EHRD, Netherlands

@Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeF … count my vote too for the frequency feature :)

EDMB, Germany
Sign in to add your message