Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

The standard license covers two iPads and one iPhone. Some of the newest features require iOS 11+. I would recommend one of the newest iPads or the iPad Mini 4, preferably with cellular support so you can file from the aircraft. The mini is easier to mount on a yoke, but there are persistent rumors that there may not be a mini 5. I have an iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 9.7, and an iPhone 6+ and they all work well with the latest versions of ForeFlight.

KUZA, United States

I run the latest version of FF on an iPad Mini2 and it works perfectly well. The Mini is just the right size to mount on the yoke.

One app to rule them all! ForeFlight is an excellent software, I’m glad it now is starting to ramp up the European side.

Can someone summarise the applicability of Foreflight to these two potential installations:

GNT650+GTN750
2×IFD540

Presumably you can autoroute a route and transfer it to the GPS(s) via wifi or bluetooth?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

With a Flightstream 510 Bluetooth card in your GTN750 you get two-way flight plan transfer and GPS with Foreflight and Garmin Pilot. With Garmin Pilot you also get Database Concierge, with the databases automatically loaded on your iPad getting transferred to your GTNs via WiFi. This works great and is a clever way from Garmin to tie people to GP.

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

With Garmin Pilot you also get Database Concierge, with the databases automatically loaded on your iPad getting transferred to your GTNs via WiFi. This works great and is a clever way from Garmin to tie people to GP.

NCYankee will certainly comment, but IIRC the upcoming release of FF has the same capability.

The UI is indeed well designed, consistent, with great attention to detail. Performance is very good, one of the advantages of a native iOS app.

From a VFR standpoint:

Airspace depiction works well. VRPs, circuits and in/outbound routes are there too, thanks to Jeppesen data. Seemless zooming down to taxiway level.

It seems they’ll start with offering the Jepp VFR charts (Bottlang) and the DFS ones. Hope they’ll include the Swiss Skyguide VACs soon as the DFS ones for Switzerland are pretty ugly in comparison.

I didn’t see any airspace alerts, one of the most useful features IMHO in Skydemon. I also couldn’t add cities as waypoints, but this might be due to it being a development build.

I also think the two iPad plus one iPhone licence bundle for IFR Jeppesen charts and plates is a good thing. A single instance of European Jepp bought through Jeppesen for Mobile Flight Deck is €550 but the 2+1 deal bought through ForeFlight is €635.

For me the additional €85 for the second iPad copy is well worth it for the backup.

Lydd

nickflyer, as it appears you had a pretty good look at the VFR portion of the application, a quick question:

I currently use Jeppesen FD VFR where you have one single data-driven map that shows your enroute map when zoomed out, your VRPs and arrival/departure routes when zoomed in a bit, and your ground/taxi chart when zoomed all the way in.

Is this what ForeFlight does as well? One map showing different kinds of info depending on the zoom level? In that case, is there any reason why they will soon be offering the Bottlang charts as an option? Is there anything on the Bottlangs that is not on the base map?

Thank you!

Last Edited by ThreePoint at 23 Apr 10:42

For clarity: by “Bottlang” do you mean the Jeppesen VFR Europe supplement? That is what the printed Bottlang guides became when they ended about 2006, IIRC. You get two pages: a VAC (visual approach chart) and an airport chart

When I was looking at Foreflight at the EDNY show, I realised that their airport charts (which seemed to be the Jepp ones I mention above) worked just like the Garmin SafeTaxi charts (which were generated by Garmin in-house) with auto-zoom when on the ground, so in this department Foreflight has the same functionality as Garmin Pilot and the various recent Garmin handhelds such as my yoke-mounted Aera 660.

Does anyone know what functionality is available between Foreflight and 2×IFD540?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message