Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Discussion of language proficiency issues and licenses

@peter : this is VERY understandable english for a french speaking pilot

I also didn’t have any problem with the pronunciation by the general quality of the transmission was very bad. Readability 2.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Most of it is legible but the “cavok” portion is marginal to say the least. I never got it on the flight and was going to ask the airport for the cloudbase etc but later got the LFBH wx over 4G, and later could see the airport area, so didn’t bother. It is only after multiple playbacks that I can see what it “probably” is.

We always come back to the same thing: English which is so heavily accented in language X that it is illegible to an English native, remains legible to locals from X. Hence the guy recording that ATIS was perfectly happy with it. When I post my videos somewhere I get loads of feedback about the poor ATC English, from other English speaking countries (UK or USA, mostly). I don’t suppose this will ever be resolved because the locals are happy with it and the people get their ELP signoff also done by the locals

See e.g. here for a local view on the matter.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have the feeling that non-native speakers of English are in general more understanding of accented English that native speakers are – even if the accent is not their own.

@peter : this is VERY understandable english for a french speaking pilot

I must admit that it’s very understandable for me as well. The British accent tends to be least understandable

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

You don’t have to go that far to hit the accent wall, just two years ago on a trip from London to Norwich, I had a lot of troubles understanding the Yorkshireman accent, luckily I did not go that far north or west !

ATC in international airports (listen to JFK on atc.net) don’t have much issues dealing with variety of accents in a busy envirment, it is only an issue for atc or pilots in regional/local airports where being slick on the radio is rather secondary (who cares it will be empty anyway)

Tough, I find text to speech of ATIS in Flight Simulator to be far more better than any human recording…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

I must admit that it’s very understandable for me as well. The British accent tends to be least understandable

Agree. The worst (for me) always was when flying in the UK, the further north, the less comprehensible.

WRT the recording referenced by Peter. It sounds like the speaker made the mistake of breathing into the mike during recording, that’s when you get these ‘puffs’. On top of that the transmission quality is very poor.

This is for people doing ELP in France:

Apparently this requirement does not apply to tests which @Bordeaux_Jim does.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you do ELP tests in Orly, you get asked to speak English based on French scripts (B737 flight from Barcelona to Marrakech with all details in French), if you do ELP tests with other providers you get to work on English scripts.

I have to say Orly tests are really tough due to the zero relevance of the scripts to GA flying and the low quality of audio but then you don’t ever have to do the test again as they are valid lifetime

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

then you don’t ever have to do the test again as they are valid lifetime

If you get a 6…

Sign in to add your message