Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen IFR Single Install - how about backup?

I currently have a JeppView FD IFR subscription (with 4 licenses and printable charts) and I tested the use of an Ipad last weekend. That worked well.

So I contacted Jeppesen to change my subscription to a IFR Single Install, which gives me a larger coverage for the same money. Jeppesen agreed to refund the remainder of my current subscription and charge the new one, which would be awash for me.

However, I need some form of back-up: either a spare charged iPad or a set of printed charts at least. But that new IFR Single Install only allows to print screencopies through Airprint, which is unfeasible: an average large airport would then require 20+ screenshots to be printed consequently: tedious and error-prone.

Does anyone have more experience in this matter? Can this back-up issue be solved more elegantly?

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

I can’t think of any way unless the device is jailbroken, and then you can just (illegally) install it on multiple devices.

This is why Jepp IOS products won’t run on rooted (jailbroken) Android devices. The rooting is easy. I did my T705 yesterday in half an hour, and it also disables OS update nagging. Rooting is really handy because a lot of stuff can be done “right”, starting with stupid things like disabling the camera click and moving to being able to make proper backups.

As another angle: how much more would be a single-license PC sub i.e. Jeppview, with the Ipad add-on?

Jeppview alone covering Europe (IFR and VFR) should be about 900 euros, IIRC. You can print from Jeppview, easily (to paper or to PDFs which can be displayed on e.g. Goodreader, though printing works only for one airport at a time). And you can back up a PC perfectly, using e.g. Trueimage.

Printing on IOS Jepp products is crap, deliberately, because many pilots share Jepps as PDFs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Contact Jepp and pay the extra £ to access the plan on another device? I’ve done this before (to support an extra person in our group) and it wasn’t an issue nor that expensive.

BTW – if you fly Cirrus, make sure to join COPA and then contact Jepp through the COPA-Jepp support desk to claim your 15 months for 12 month subscription.

EGKB

I normally have Jepp charts on the G1000 and use Jepp FD on an iPad as the backup In case I fly an aircraft that does not have JeppView I print the government plates provided by the EuroGA router for backup and use the iPad as primary.

If you have a second device you could download the government plates to that (from the router) and use that as backup. Unfortunately AFAIK the PDFs do not contain bookmarks so you need to search for the plate you want which might be tedious for an airport with lots of procedures.

Maybe it would be possible for the router developers to bookmark the plates in the PDF they generate, but I suspect that if they have not, it is probably not possible to do so, at least reliably.

LFPT, LFPN

Hi @Niner_Mike have a look at this tool which can backup/restore/clone iPads…

I think it is best to have a desktop and an ipad subscription. Not much more money and with the desktop subscription it makes it very easy to print all your charts in kneeboard size which I find is very convenient. You then will have the Jepp charts on the MFD, on your ipad and printed as backup.

One thing I always do is also take ipad screen grab photos of the key plates while on the ground so that if the Ipad Jepps app fails, I can still open the approach charts on the ipad from the photos. Also, I find the Jepps icing info quite useful tool. Bottom left corner of app.

EGKB Biggin Hill London

I use JeppView on the MFD and on two iPads and i have Central Europe VFR and IFR.

I can confirm that as a COPA member you get 15 months for 12!

@Lenthamen how does that work?

I think it is one of the several tools (starting with Iexplorer) which access the non-protected directories in the file system. Notably they access the Documents directory, which most non-Apple apps use for their data storage, and that opens up “various interesting options”. That is why Jepp changed this in JeppFD v2.0 onwards so this doesn’t work anymore unless you jailbreak.

It’s a great way to load documents into Goodreader – a very fast drag/drop from a PC etc.

But IOS v8.x blocks access to the Documents directory, supposedly. People who relied on this method to use some apps had to jailbreak in order to continue.

And Apple apps (e.g. Books) were never accessible in that way (unless, again, jailbroken).

I have a year-2011 Ipad2 on IOS6 and will never upgrade it. I got fed up with jailbreaking it periodically. It makes a good web browser for kicking about the house

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks guys.

So I see three options:

1. Keep going as now: JeppView on iPad and printed out Jepp charts from PC (4 license option). Smaller coverage
2. Switch to Single IFR install and use government charts as backup on paper or softcopy on spare iPad/laptop. LArger coverage
3. Hack into iPad and copy JeppView install. Larger coverage, cumbersome

I’ll consider option 1 or 2.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Peter wrote:

@Lenthamen how does that work?

I think they reverse engineered the Itunes backup function.

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message