Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ditching accidents, life rafts, jackets and equipment, training and related discussion

Also interesting to compare not just with the C172RG at the start of the first video, but also the different technique on the Cessna ditching from 1:01 on the same video

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

Also interesting to compare not just with the C172RG at the start of the first video, but also the different technique on the Cessna ditching from 1:01 on the same video

I don’t know if that’s a technique? Is seems like an uncontrolled crash into the water.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

an uncontrolled crash into the water.

I’d say that is an appropriate description.

Some lessons can be learned nonetheless…as I am watching it I keep thinking “push the nose down, push the nose down, push the nose down…”

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Is this of any use? It was left with me c. 2018-2019 by a pilot who flew a C210 around the world but the last leg was airline and he could not have carried it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is this of any use?

It all depends
First, the 3 of them were manufactured in May 2018, and did date expire in May 2022, probably the reason for your query. So my personal guess is that they will probably be good for another couple of years.
Second, it can be of use. If you need them. Otherwise it is just dead ballast and space eater…
Third, not being in the known re your future flying ventures, difficult to say. OTOH and based on what we know about you, your present/past overwater flying is over short to medium stretches, flying high under IFR in constant contact with ATC + radar coverage, over cold but not freezing waters with maritime traffic. In the unlikely event of a ditching, the authorities would hopefully be able to rapidly and precisely pinpoint the location of your raft to S&R, without having to resort to a smoking flare to find you. But who knows? In a worst case scenario, a flare could be your last chance and save your life

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Just as a point or reference…..
I had 3 flares in my powerboat. I never kept them particularly safe, or dry.
I didn’t have much money back then and didn’t really feel that I needed them, so didn’t replace them when they were out of date.
About 7years out of date, having languished in those poor conditions the whole time.I decided to dospose of them by setting them off on Nov 5th.
Surprisingly only 1 failed. The other two were perfect.
Later on I came by some 5 year out of date ex-motor yacht ones. They all worked too.
It used to be possible to give them to the coastguard to dispose of, a couple of times a year.
But I think in many areas that has stopped.
It may cost money to dispose of them if you don’t just let them off (which I think must be done on private land)

United Kingdom

I am happy to give them to anybody who wants them

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Since I started flying ULMs this subject has been occupying my mind quite a lot.
Should I carry rockets? Not for signalling to helicopters from a life raft but to gain attention.
Take the scenario where I am out mid channel and the engine fails. As recommended I glide towards the nearest boat and pull the parachute, silently descending into the water.
What is the liklihood of anyone on that boat looking up at the right time to say “oh I think someone’s in trouble let’s go to the rescue”?.
But some sort of loud noise would attract attention. Noises off is a very important factor of the theatre, film or television.

France

gallois wrote:

Should I carry rockets?

An extrem case but having rockets on board can also cause trouble (unfortunately in German only):
https://www.bfu-web.de/DE/Publikationen/Untersuchungsberichte/2006/Bericht_06_AX001_Falcon20_Kiel-Holtenau.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=1

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Peter wrote:

I am happy to give them to anybody who wants them

Just use them on first celebration (wedding, Christmas, New Year, whatever…) like we do in Balkans. Although we use proper firearms up to rocket launchers.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message