Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ditching accidents, life rafts, jackets and equipment, training and related discussion

jgmusic wrote:

Definitely more money than sense

They have the sense to take a trial run! That’s pretty sensible. Chalk them up a few extra odds of making it for that alone.
Anecdotal experience can be quite useful. The guy failing at the flares should remember how they work (if they work…)

That’s very true! I would probably have reconsidered if I’d seen this prior to purchasing. I’m amazed that the manufacturers don’t do a demo themselves.

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

Waterproof bags and survival kits

Hi, I know this has been covered before but I can’t find it – apologies.

So what are the latest recommendations on waterproof ditching bags and general all-purpose survival kits – land and sea?

I remember seeing an orange waterproof case in one thread a while ago – maybe you, Peter?

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looking at buying the AVI Survival 4-6 person raft mentioned in this thread.

Mendelssohn is selling at £1794 inc. VAT.

Do any forum members know of a second-hand one for sale?

Or alternatively if there are any Channel Islands suppliers that may be cheaper?

Thanks!
Mark

FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom

Mark, if you are interested you can hire one from South Eastern Marine, SEMS, in Basildon, alternativety they may sell you one?

When you have a life raft on board you should always carry a sharp knife to hand in case it goes off unexpectedly, I can’t show you the pic now but will post it tomorrow (if nobody else does first) of one that did go off in the aircraft!

Thanks – and sensible point about a knife.

Will call SEMS and see if they have any new/reconditioned rafts.

It’s the AVI Survival one in particular I’m after. I’ve hired that and a larger, heavier Beaufort in the past. The AVI sits on the pax seat (or on the pax’s knee). The Beaufort is heavy and needs to be on the back seat – not ideal.

FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom

MarkW wrote:

Or alternatively if there are any Channel Islands suppliers that may be cheaper?

In 2016: 1750 Euro at Jersey Airport, Channel Island Aero Services Ltd.

Berlin, Germany

Have a Beaufort for sale if you are interested. Needs servicing as last serviced (I think) about 6 years ago.

Ben

Last Edited by Ben at 30 Apr 19:38

MarkW wrote:

Do any forum members know of a second-hand one for sale?

Hi Mark

We have a used (but un-used!) Survival Products 4-6 man that’s for sale.

It needs servicing, but send me a PM if you’re interested.

EGBB
Sign in to add your message