Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP revalidation by experience (merged)

TwinPiston wrote:

Can an EASA FI sign off an EASA licence after doing the one hour SEP revalidation by experience flight? Or does it have to be an examiner?

The flight or class rating instructor must be “specifically authorised for that purpose by the competent authority responsible for the applicant’s licence.” FCL.945. The procedure for this authorisation varies throughout the member states, eg it is only given to the holder of a Danish instructor certificate after attending an FCL.945 seminar.

Note that in the case of the SEP revalidation by experience the EASA Examiner Differences Document does not address endorsements by examiners who are authorised by a competent authority other than the one responsible for the applicant’s licence.

London, United Kingdom

Someone I know with an FCL.945-approval from the Danish authority has on two occasions signed off for SEP(L) revalidation in the certificate of a German holder with a German license, submitting the relevant German formula to the German CAA. It is more than a year ago now and there has not been any reaction from the German CAA.

Whether there is an agreement that Germany will specifically accept this by Danish FCL.945-instructors (possible I guess, but hardly likely), or the German CAA does not really bother (sensible reaction but is it likely?), or it simply has slipped unnoticed through the German bureaucracy (most likely?) – I do not know.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Hello Everyone,

I have a Czech EASA PPL SEP rating, and the time of expiry come closer, and I want to figure out what should I do the revalidate my rating for additional two years.
From the EASA papers I see that the requirements for revalidation are -

(ii) within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the rating, complete 12 hours
of flight time in the relevant class, including:
— 6 hours as PIC,
— 12 take-offs and 12 landings, and
— refresher training of at least 1 hour of total flight time with a flight instructor (FI)
or a class rating instructor (CRI). Applicants shall be exempted from this refresher
training if they have passed a class or type rating proficiency check, skill test or
assessment of competence in any other class or type of aeroplane.

In the last 3 months, I have 12 total hours, 8 of them are PIC and 4 Dual (Just regular flights with Instructor, Traffic Patterns and Emergencies) .

I am not sure about the third requirement, does that means that I need to take some “special” dual hour for “refresher training” ? or the 4 dual hours are enough?

And what should be my steps now? who should sign my license?
If refresher training is required, is it required with some special FI? or anyone who have FI can do so and then sign my license?

Thanks!

Israel

In Switzerland, the refresher training is a flight defined as such and signed by the instructor. For this you have to download and fill in the corresponding form, do the flight and let the instructor sign.

In your case, you can talk to your instructor and ask him to sign the form and declare one of the flights you did with him as a refresher training (minimum 1 hour). If he doesn’t agree, you will have to do another flight.

In Switzerland, you or your instructor send the form to the FOCA, the national authority, and they issue a new license for you with a new SEP expiration date.

If you use capzlog.aero, the conditions will be validated for you and their status will be shown, including a reference to Part-FCL and what is missing. It will also calculate the sums in the correct time period, so you don’t have to do this manually. It looks like this:

Disclosure: I am affiliated with capzlog.aero.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 24 Oct 16:31
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Its roughly the same in France except that after the 1 hr flight check or whatever it is called these days the instructor signs your licence and fills the details in online.
As has been described it is one hour minimum with an instructor so one of your hours may well count so you need to discuss this with him/her.
You obviously have the number of hours 12 in the 2nd year needed for validation by experience. You might also have to show your medical is valid.

France

Vladimir wrote:

In your case, you can talk to your instructor and ask him to sign the form and declare one of the flights you did with him as a refresher training (minimum 1 hour). If he doesn’t agree, you will have to do another flight.

Exactly.

And to add to this: If he doesn’t agree, don’t use him as instructor again ;)

EDDW, Germany

Alpha_Floor wrote:

And to add to this: If he doesn’t agree, don’t use him as instructor again ;)

Or maybe think about why the instructor does not agree…

Germany

Vladimir: “If he doesn’t agree, you will have to do another flight.”

The FI/CRI providing the hour of refresher training does not have discretion on whether the flight counts towards the revalidation by experience requirements.

Note that FCL.945, where it applies, imposes an obligation on the instructor to endorse the licence.

The appropriate CAA-CZ reporting form is CAA-F-ZLP-009-1-21 (pdf link).

London, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

Note that FCL.945, where it applies, imposes an obligation on the instructor to endorse the licence.

Notes that this applies to instructors ‘__if specifically authorised for that purpose by the competent authority responsible for the applicant’s licence__’. Also the way it’s written an instructor could object to endorse the licence ‘after the fact’ because FCL.945 stipulates that this applies ‘Upon completion of the training flight for the revalidation of an SEP or TMG class rating in accordance with FCL.740.A(b)(1) and only in the event of fulfilment of all the other revalidation criteria required by FCL.740.A(b)(1)’. The ‘refresher training’ is now defined, albeit rather vaguely, in AMC1 FCL.740.A(b)(1)(ii). However vague, since it is defined as ‘refresher training’, the instructor could argue, if asked after the fact, that the flight was not planed as a refresher training flight.

ENVA, Norway

Mher_Tolpin wrote:

In the last 3 months, I have 12 total hours, 8 of them are PIC and 4 Dual (Just regular flights with Instructor, Traffic Patterns and Emergencies) .
SOUNDS LIKE YOU FULFILL THE “12 IN 12” = 12 H FLYING, 12 TAKEOFF/LANDINGS, IN LAST 12 MONTHS.

I am not sure about the third requirement, does that means that I need to take some “special” dual hour for “refresher training” ? or the 4 dual hours are enough?
IF THE 4 DUAL HOURS WERE WITH AN FI – THAT´S ENOUGH. NO SPECIAL FLIGHT INSTRUCTION FLIGHT.

And what should be my steps now? who should sign my license? EXAMINER (exceptionally Czech CAA may have approved certain Flight Instructors – but normally not a “regular” FI).
If refresher training is required, is it required with some special FI? or anyone who have FI can do so and then sign my license?
YOUR NEXT STEP SHOULD BE TO HAVE AN EASA EXAMINER ENDORSE YOUR LICENCE AND SEND THE NATIONAL (CZECH) “REVALIDATION OF CLASS RATING” FORM TO CZECH CAA.
NO REFRESHER TRAINING, NO SPECIAL FI FOR THE 1H(MIN), ANY FI CAN DO THE FLIGHT. IN GENERAL TERMS THE FI CAN NOT SIGN (MAKE THE ENDORSEMENT) IN YOUR LICENCE.

Thanks!

In general you provide an EXAMINER (EASA Authority) with the documentation (log-book), unless of course he blindly trusts you, to prove you have performed the required flight hours, landings and flight with a Flight Instructor, within the last 12 months of the expiry SEP class rating.
Any EXAMINER (EASA Authority) are allowed to endorse the revalidation in your license (EASA). The Examiner will sign the national (CZECH) “Revalidation of class rating for SEP” form and one of you send it to the Czech CAA.
Your national aviation authority may have specifically designated a number of FI to allow them to endorse the part-FCL (and the revalidation form), but generally only examiners are allowed to write in you license.
It is important that you get the part-FCL endorsement done before the rating has expired.

BTW. Of course you always have the option to simply do the part-FCL Licence Proficiency Check (LPC) instead of the above.
But of course, it´s likely cheaper to just find a friendly examiner and follow the above.

Last Edited by Yeager at 25 Oct 18:50
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
Sign in to add your message