Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP revalidation by experience (merged)

The reg says “refresher training of at least 1 hour of total flight time with a flight instructor (FI) or a class rating instructor (CRI)”

AFAIK, UK CAA now accept this 1h to be split up to 3 flights (reason: trying new things like 1h aeros in Extra or 1h tail wheel circuits were a bit too much for some pilots ), also, for dual re-validation of SEP/TMG you can have pilot experience and your refresher flights evenly split between the two

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Happy to see the LBA now accepting email instead of fax
Read the fine print – only for revalidation. Renewals still require Fax or snail mail.

Who can do the manual license entry? I’d say any street CRI/FI/FE, right?
Negative – FE/CRE/FI/CRI are only authorised to make manual license entries for “revalidation flights” they have conducted themselves. If you use your ME-IR-prof.-check for cross-crediting, the guy with whom you did the check flight may also revalidate your SEP if the conditions are fulfilled.
Last Edited by tschnell at 27 Jan 21:03
Friedrichshafen EDNY

tschnell wrote:

Negative – FE/CRE/FI/CRI are only authorised to make manual license entries for “revalidation flights” they have conducted themselves

Is that LBA specific @tschnell?

Surely not the case in France: I was told a UK FI can conduct 1h refresher and Aeroclub club CFI can do signoff/paperwork
Nor UK, some clubs have similar arrangements for revalidation of SEP, TMG, Tow Rating…

Practically, you will be lucky to find an examiner* who is current in IR, MEP, SEP(land/sea), TMG, vintage, aeros, towing, tailwheel, complex…also I am assuming he is happy to fly privately owned airplanes and he is allowed by insurance

*I know one and he does it for free if you can wait 10months

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Is that LBA specific @tschnell?
Yes, authorizations for manual license endorsements are country-specific. Some do not allow them at all.
Last Edited by tschnell at 27 Jan 21:04
Friedrichshafen EDNY

MikeWhiskey wrote:

Would it really be easier to renew an expired rating when it’s still on the licence? Even if deleted from your licence, it still is in your file at the CAA?

The Examiner I use for IR and TR says you should definitely not send anything to the CAA with an expired rating, and also says he can reinstate anything that’s printed on the front of the licence, but otherwise it’s a pain.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I’ve had some input from someone in the system:

So clearly there is a lot of misunderstandings / incorrect operation of the system by those working in it.

The Examiner I use for IR and TR says you should definitely not send anything to the CAA with an expired rating, and also says he can reinstate anything that’s printed on the front of the licence, but otherwise it’s a pain.

With the 3 year time limit gone, the above should be correct.

But if the rating is no longer printed on the license (presumably, because the license was at some point sent to the CAA with an already expired rating, so they removed the entry) then the license has to go back to the CAA, no? Otherwise, what does he mean by “pain”?

I think the lesson is that nothing should be sent to the CAA unless absolutely unavoidable.

Another thing worth remembering is that the UK CAA paperwork states that they require a current medical for re-issuing an IR. This is obviously daft, because there is nothing wrong with renewing or revalidating an IR with a flight with an examiner (who is then PIC). This is another trap because if you lost your medical briefly, this could cause an IR to lapse, and then if the paperwork has to go to the CAA for some other reason, they will strip off the IR also

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just to be clear – in the UK you can get an SRG1100 form which gives you the licence privileges immediately after the test, irrespective of whether it’s on the licence already or not.

This is true from SEP up to A380

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Thanks @tschnell

Negative – FE/CRE/FI/CRI are only authorised to make manual license entries for “revalidation flights” they have conducted themselves. If you use your ME-IR-prof.-check for cross-crediting, the guy with whom you did the check flight may also revalidate your SEP if the conditions are fulfilled.

What if my MPA ME IR validity is different from my SE IR or SEP validity?

MPA ME IR prof check in march, SE IR valid until april?

Edit: Answer

For revalidations by experience the original expiration date plus the rating validity period is used (advanced to the end of the calendar month if required) and this may be done within the 12 months before the rating expires if the necessary requirements have been fulfilled within that period. FCL.740.A(b)(ii).

Thanks!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 27 Jan 22:55
always learning
LO__, Austria

Just to be clear – in the UK you can get an SRG1100 form which gives you the licence privileges immediately after the test, irrespective of whether it’s on the licence already or not.
This is true from SEP up to A380

That’s unbelievable!

But, hang on, is this relevant to say an IR renewal, or is it relevant only to a full initial IR test?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

So clearly there is a lot of misunderstandings / incorrect operation of the system by those working in it.

Amen to that, couldn’t agree more.

Sign in to add your message