Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can you get busted for this? (two P areas meeting at a point)

Couldn’t you ask the sector controller that you are talking to on the route? If they say OK you are OK

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Yes, in practice you would do that, but my question was theoretical.

I recall, for example, that during the UK olympics there was such a spot around D138, east of Southend. This is what it looks like now

Not easy to work out, is it?

A better Q might be what the airspace designer intended. Surely he would have realised that people will try to fly through that point?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Maybe cross the point in knife edge flight!

I’d say you could definately get busted for it.

If it was in the UK, I’d think almost certainly.
1. Becasue it would be blatently obvious what you did (as distinct from clipping a tiny corner, where it’s not 100% certain if you were inside or outside)
2. It’s really a question of “which” zone P zone you clipped, rather than “if”. And a defence of “I’d one wing in each of them briefly” isn’t really much of a defence.
3. From what I can see, most zone busts result in a stiff talking too, rather than a prosecution. But if you were doing it intentionally, and trying to argue your case, then the stiff talking to might not be seen to work ;)

Is the image of the map you are showing, just an example, or is this the trail of where you “did it”? It’s pretty hard to figure out which boundary applies to which from that scan! One of the advantages of digital maps ;)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

the ICAO rule that if you fly along the boundary between two airspaces, the less strict airspace classification applies.

Hah! I (or rather my wife, as I was P2 on that flight, but I handled the radios) once got told off (well, in a nice way) by a German controller when we were flying (VFR) at the dividing level of class E and C (I think). He said that a clearance was required and kindly offered one.

Well, that was 23 or so years ago…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

But that’s not a “boundary between two airspaces” as I understand it. Of course the altitude at which an airspace starts belongs to THAT airspace! At least that’s my understanding of the matter …

Is the image of the map you are showing, just an example,

That UK map fragment is just one example of where one could have gone through a corner like that. It’s a bad example because I can’t get my head around the various combinations…

Hah! I (or rather my wife, as I was P2 on that flight, but I handled the radios) once got told off (well, in a nice way) by a German controller when we were flying (VFR) at the dividing level of class E and C (I think). He said that a clearance was required and kindly offered one.

He was wrong in that case, unless the law was different 23 years ago. Here in the UK we have a similar thing, where the CAA allows you to fly at the base of a Class A “airway” if you get a clearance. That doesn’t make sense because the Class A+G boundary is Class G.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

but my question was theoretical.

Indeed and this thread explains every reason why pilots should be involved with their representatives and ATC in airspace design discussions – to discuss issues like this.

Nobody wants to be busted ‘accidentally’, and although I have seen a lot of incredibly silly airspace designs, I haven’t seen one as bad as this.

Poorer readability and unnecessary complexity of certain airspace obviously does not help.

Last Edited by James_Chan at 19 Jan 12:00

Not quite the same question, but some of you may know the so-called “Caldy Gap” between EGD115B and EGD117 near Caldy Island in the Bristol Channel. This gap is only some 300 metres wide between the two danger areas. Since it is over the sea, there is no landmark to signal the turn. Even with a much zoomed-in moving map it is tricky to be certain of flying through the middle of the gap at a normal cruise speeds. Bisecting the gap involves a sudden turn of circa 40 degrees. I hand fly the gap as my autopilot doesn’t make the turn quickly enough, one needs to really concentrate.

The OP doesn’t involve a turn but passing precisely through the apex of the P’s (one wing in each as suggested!) is impracticable.

There is an example of an apex with no gap, more like the diagram above, in the English Channel south of Bridport. If you are told that EGD012 and EGD014 are active, and the danger areas to the south are not active, and no crossing service is available, what to do?

Attempting to pass between them you will bust one or the other. So the practical answer to the original question must be yes.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

There is an example of an apex with no gap, more like the diagram above, in the English Channel south of Bridport. If you are told that EGD012 and EGD014 are active, and the danger areas to the south are not active, and no crossing service is available, what to do?

Climb to 5100ft?

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message