Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Health / Food / Blood Pressure (merged)

is the fact that in my village I see the 100+ as skinny, healthily eating folks and yet have to meet an obese one

There won’t be any in that age group. It’s physically impossible

I recall some medical profession saying which goes roughly along the lines: you gain 1lb a year up to age 60 and then you lose 1lb a year until you die. One can sort of see how that might be a reasonable guide.

Also in Spain, and especially in the countryside, you won’t have much of that. People eat old style home cooked food and move about.

That obesity decreases lifespan by only 7 years is a tribute to modern health care.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

People tend not to die prematurely, but get chronically ill prematurely.

Maybe they are kept alive too long…. looking at some of the old people I know whith those illnesses… I much prefer not to live that long in such conditions.

BeechBaby wrote:

Bizarrely the planet is in a population decline and it is causing real concern.

Oh yea? I understand that this is very much what the Green lobbies aim for. Reducing the carbon footprint by reducing people. And seeing how particularly Europe gets totally overcrowded, that is something I think is a pretty good aim, better than destroying their economies by banning just about everything which makes life worth living.

But unfortunately it’s not happening. Population has risen since ever and there is less and less space. Our country has lost massive quality of live due to overpopulation in the last years. And no, it’s not (only) immigration. Still way too many have 3 or more kids. And as long as kids still get subsidized, that won’t change.

But if we think like this, then why are we discriminating folks with “unhealthy” lifestyles? Any one of those who kicks the bucket at 50 is doing the rest of us a favour or not? Maybe once the health nuts get health care removed for anyone who does not live the religion of BMI25, no smokers and meat eaters, not only can the NHS save billions they did not get after Brexit but you actually might find a parking space at Tesco again in a few years. And yes, that was sarcasm in case anyone is offended by it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

you gain 1lb a year up to age 60 and then you lose 1lb a year until you die. One can sort of see how that might be a reasonable guide.

Ah, neat, so there is hope for me seeing that I just passed 60.

Peter wrote:

That obesity decreases lifespan by only 7 years is a tribute to modern health care.

7 years less in which to endure the hassle of life. Not a bad deal I reckon for at least being able to enjoy it without having to live up to the world view of vegan health nuts. The old moniker “if you give up sex, food, smoke and alcohol you can reach 100”. To which my answer always has been, “what on earth for?”. Living in a vegan boot camp does sound massively unattractive to me.

if you give up sex, food, smoke and alcohol you can reach 100

That one is definitely wrong

Living in a vegan boot camp does sound massively unattractive to me.

Probably not since a lot of vegans eat doughnuts and cakes, in vast quantities.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Probably not since a lot of vegans eat doughnuts and cakes, in vast quantities.

Ouch. I wonder if I should get worried about my daughter then

The only few I do know however can count their bones without an x-ray so whatever they do eat can’t be much…

For those who find it hard to give up meat:

Simple, wonderfully tasting, similar texture to fillet steak, and super healthy

And lots of garlic Then all your friends are true friends.

Administrator

On the subject to “similar to meat”, I find vegan/vegetarian food best when it’s NOT trying to pretend to be meat! (Not saying that this dish is by the way).

Also hibiscus tea did absolutely bugger all for my blood pressure. That’s not to say it won’t work for someone else, and besides it’s a nice drink so I still have it. The only food that has had an effect are oatmeal cookies similar to this recipe: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/breakfast-cookies/

So I have to reluctantly admit that I’m going to have to take tablets and hope to dodge the ones that are medically disqualifying.

Andreas IOM

@Alioth you are not supposed to like things that do you good. That’s probably why the hibiscus tea doesn’t work for you.
Try tilleuil tea (made from the flowers of what the tilleuil tree. In UK I think the tree is either k.own as the lime or linden tree)
It’s foul tasting stuff so sure to work😁
It is a known diurétique.
As you have posted that you cycle a lot, i would have a word with a cardiologist if I were you.
There can be many reasons for high blood pressure.My wife gets incredibly high blood pressure following a surgical intervention ( and I mean incredibly high as to have the crash carts racing down the corridor). She is allergic to nickel and the needle that delivers the paracetomol is stainless steel and stainless steel contains nickel.
Her blood pressure is also higher when the GP uses an electric pressure pad to measure, rather than the one with a bulb which is pumped by hand.🙃

France

Yes indeed you need to pay a bit of money for fake sausages and fake burgers that are of decent quality. The cheap ones are stuck together with some cheap gunge. Good fake cheese is also expensive.

The problem is that in the “vegan” world (I am not a vegan) a lot of stuff has acquired a religious and “virtue signalling” status and fashionable restaurants serve this stuff.

Mushrooms, especially the ones in my pic, are wonderful.

Administrator

So I have to reluctantly admit that I’m going to have to take tablets and hope to dodge the ones that are medically disqualifying.

Same here, though I’ll try once more without, coming March… any tablets not on prescription that could be taken say one month before and stopped after the class 2 is issued?

I’ve been a vegetarian for the better part of 7 years now. Different reasons, the first one being environmental, and offsetting some of the pollution I create thru my hobbies can’t be bad
Back on the subject of BP, I’m low on cholesterol, but been high, right on the top limits 90/130 or slightly more now, for about 4 years now. I firmly believe being a vegetarian is good for one’s health, but I very much doubt it does anything for one’s BP.

Talking vegetarian food, there is some green meat stuff in supermarkets around here that is really good, and has fooled more than one dead animal eater

Last Edited by Dan at 31 Jul 15:08
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message