Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Health / Food / Blood Pressure (merged)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Exactly. And it is usually people who have never had a weight problem who gloat over those who do and “know all about” how they can improve their lives.

Being one of those who struggle with weight, I’d say unless those giving advice have gone through the same experience or are trained professionals who know, they should shut up about it. This includes tons of “nutrition advisors” who in most cases make things worse.

Shaming of people which do not conform to some arbitrary set idea of lifestyle is called discrimination. And framing people, like it happened to the OP is imho a violation of duty by that AME. Body shaming has caused much more harm than it has caused people to actually slim down, most of those who are regularly shamed

I’m all with @Mooney_Driver on this. Although I now have a weight which is just a couple of kg over the “normal” BMI range, at time I’ve weighed up to 25 kg more and I’ve both lost and regained 20 kg or more at least three times in my life.

It is certainly true that eating habits (or “lifestyle” if you wish) matters, but people who haven’t had to deal with it don’t realise how difficult it is – if nothing else because the situation at home, work etc, affect it and those are things you can’t easily change. If you have a spouse that can seemingly eat as much as (s)he wants without gaining weight and do not feel inclined to change his/her eating habits, should to you break up to achieve a “lifestyle change”? What if you have teenage kids who want (and need) to eat enormous amounts of food?

My weight is currently stable, but I have to think about it constantly to keep it that way. And yes, I’m eating lots of veggies.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

What if you have teenage kids who want (and need) to eat enormous amounts of food?

How does that affect you?

What if you have teenage kids who want (and need) to play computer games? Do you also do that?

Last Edited by Emir at 27 Mar 16:20
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

If you have a spouse that can seemingly eat as much as (s)he wants without gaining weight and do not feel inclined to change his/her eating habits, should to you break up to achieve a “lifestyle change”? What if you have teenage kids who want (and need) to eat enormous amounts of food?

This is true, some people do not gain weight even with unhealthy lifestyle but for majority it’s a hell of a sacrifice to lose weight…not sure about teenagers though, they have different metabolism? and can eat off sort of junk? it’s after 25 years old where lifestyle matters, in any case, if I have a teenage who eats lot of food, I can show him/her this picture of Sarah

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Mar 16:31
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

But how do the FAA class 1 and 2 medicals relate to the ICAO classes?

I have a Canadian class 1 medical, and it appears to be equivalent to ICAO class 1, so I think the FAA and Transport Canada just transposed 2 and 3 with respect to ICAO.

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

The only Class medical for which FAA practice is directly correlated to EASA or European national practice is 1st Class. For example both FAA 2nd and 3rd classes don’t require an EKG, and BTW the only significant difference between them is vision standards (20/20 versus 20/40 corrected) and period of validity.

How either relates to ICAO recommendations is not directly applicable to the pilot and I have no idea how that political issue functions. It seems like all politics to be arbitrary and is in any case not law. Regardless, the medicals applicable to an FAA Private Pilot Certificate are the 3rd class (anywhere), BasicMed (US, Mexico and Bahamas) or US state driver’s license (operating as Sport Pilot, in the US).

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Mar 19:37

Emir wrote:

How does that affect you?

As a family we try to spend some time together and part of that is to eat together. So we enjoy a meal a day where everyone pretty much eats the same.

But unfortunately, what’s good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander and apart, if one of us cooks, the others don’t want to disappoint.

Add to that, women and men are fundamentally different in foods they can or can not eat to diet.

So the question will be will you sacrifice family time in order to reach some goals or not.

Some may call this “weakness of character” or whatever. Some will claim that on their table only healthy stuff is served and who does not want it goes hungry. Well, I’ve known kids like that and they ended up getting sweets and other stuff on the sly and were later those who would spend some money at McD or similar. I rather have harmony at home and live with some side effects than be on a constant crusade.

Same goes for gaming but even more profound: If you want to know what your kids are gaming or doing on SM, then you’d better be there for them and look or better participate in order not to appear as the guy who “forbids everything” but the guy who knows the coolest games and can tell them to forego something not for them from a position of experience rather than “because I read in the paper it’s bad”. That goes for a lot of other stuff.

I never smoked, nor did I ever drink alcohol regularly (I’ve never ever been drunk in my life) nor have i ever tried or wanted to try any form of drugs. Why? My father who died when I was 14 had a great way of talking to me about those things. His way was to convince, not to order and forbid. In the way he did it, he never had to. I’m trying to do the same for my daughter.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

women and men are fundamentally different in foods they can or can not eat to diet.

Is there a reference for that?

I know of no such thing, other that men tend to be bigger so need to eat more stuff.

Also men tend to care less about health issues than women. Usually it is the woman who drags her man to see a doctor when something looks wrong. But I think this is changing, with obesity having become much more socially acceptable among women than was the case say 20 years ago. Visitors to the UK tend to comment on this

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As a family we try to spend some time together and part of that is to eat together. So we enjoy a meal a day where everyone pretty much eats the same. But unfortunately, what’s good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander and apart, if one of us cooks, the others don’t want to disappoint. Add to that, women and men are fundamentally different in foods they can or can not eat to diet. So the question will be will you sacrifice family time in order to reach some goals or not.

Essentially with this you’re saying that time together is more important than health. I’m sorry to say but with such approach that time will not last long. What if you were diabetic and had special diet? Or celiac desease? Or any food allergy or any other food related issue? Would you still sacrifice your health not to disappoint the person who cooked the meal? It wouldn’t last long before ending up in ER or worse…

Last Edited by Emir at 27 Mar 22:30
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I think we’ve been through much of this on another thread, but I agree that kids mess up your diet. They eat different foods (and they are growing so need a different diet). Most of us imagine our kids will delight on carrots and hummus, but in reality as an exhausted parent you end up sticking chips in the oven once or twice a week. Then having been brought up never to waste food, you eat their leftovers. Sleep deprivation alters both your metabolism and your willpower.

There are solutions such as learning to throw leftover food in the bin, and eating different meals from your kids. Took me a while to get my head round them, and I still find it very difficult to throw food away.

As for computer games… Yes. That too. I’m looking forward to my son growing out of Ultimate Chicken Horse.

Last Edited by kwlf at 27 Mar 22:46

but in reality as an exhausted parent you end up sticking chips in the oven once or twice a week

In an Easyjet flight a few weeks ago, two parents and a little kid, about 4, on the seats in front of us. They had a (from their conversation) a carefully worked out collection of snacks to stuff into the kid, to stop it screaming, bags of crisps etc, just enough to last the 1.5hrs We hoped they don’t do this too often. Well, it ran out about 15 mins before the landing so we got 15 mins of the kid screaming

Adults can do what they like as far as I am concerned (someone running the national health budget in your country would have a different view, seeing some 50% of their budget consumed by basically one thing) but I feel sorry for a kid who has a pretty limited chance of growing up to a long life of good health.

BTW, for those interested in their health, lipids are quite important:

We have the Veri-Q Whole Blood Lipid Analyser Amazon which is much cheaper than previous devices of this type, but is very accurate. I find that e.g. total cholesterol varies between 3.9 and 3.95 between this and a “proper” NHS blood test.

Posts extracted from original thread which went off topic

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message