Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

One-liner posts

Of course there is nothing wrong with one-liners and a lot of the time they are completely appropriate, informational and even funny

But… and this is not a response to any particular recent posting, but there is sometimes a tendency developing towards one-liners that contain zero information. The reader is then left wondering what was the point of it, and could take it the wrong way and even assume hostile intent.

This is a topic which is somewhat close to my heart because as a pilot of 14 years I have spent much time on probably all the English-language pilot forums going. Practically all of the European ones have been destroyed (as a resource that is interesting to read – not an issue if you want to have a “bar/pub” type of site, but the internet has millions of those, starting with Facebook) by various forms of behaviour. Zero-information one-liners have featured strongly in the destruction, and the resulting reduction in the “signal to noise ratio” then drives away posters who do put in the time to post informational stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I fully agree with this statement. I think a thread should at least contain some intellectual stimulant for the reader to continue to follow the thread. I like your comparison with signal to noise. Its quite easy to make one liners to put off the original poster, its more time and effort to post a topic to open a rewarding and informative reading, which doesn’t mean it can’t be funny….this being said I have an interesting topic in mind…

EBST
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message