Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

Malibuflyer wrote:

The more important question is: Why is the FAA not prosecuting the case?

The only person they could go after (the pilot) is dead, and the limit of what the FAA could have done to him would be revoke his certificates. I don’t think it’s within the purview of the FAA to extradite Henderson to the USA, especially as any criminal act would have been committed outside US borders and more properly prosecuted either in France or the UK.

Andreas IOM

Malibuflyer wrote:

Because the Pilot has been a Brit and the operator has been a Brit as well.

What if it was a XXX pilot with YYYY operator, I am sure CAA will still come after him after all that aircraft was 365 days in UK…

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Dec 16:46
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This was covered some time back. The AAIB report explained it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Latest EASA FCL derogation table / matrix is here.

Administrator

AOPA Germany posted an “absolute last call” reminder (in German here) from the European Commission that the EU would no longer extend the derogation beyond 20 June 2022 as the EU-FAA BASA is now in place.

The situation is therefore similar to the UK except (a) the UK’s date was earlier and (b) there is no UK CAA-FAA BASA in force.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Sorry to go over old ground, and taking the PPL and the IR contexts specifically, what exactly does the EASA-FAA BASA give you? There is some stuff around here but I struggle to work it out.

I know that

• to convert the FAA PPL to an EASA PPL you use the old route which for the most common case (100hrs PIC) is a few PPL exams plus a test flight – been around for many years; example).
  • to convert the FAA IR to EASA IR you use the CBIR route which for the most common case (50hrs IFR PIC) is an oral, no exams, and a test flight. This – specifically the abolition of the 7 IR exams – has been the only significant license/rating conversion thing in my 20 years of flying.

Can somebody spell out in simple terms

• how the BASA changes the above

Yes; the UK has no BASA but the UK has done many deals with the FAA many years ago. These were “officially killed” by Brussels when JAA came along but “sort of continued”. And the above two routes are equally available in the UK. I don’t know the situation on the 50hr acceptance; not sure if anybody in the UK has tested it and written about it.

Does Germany have many FAA-papers-only pilots? My feeling is that the UK does not have many (simply because most Brit residents started with a UK PPL) and I would be surprised if Germany had many more, for the same reason. France, maybe @gallois @jujupilote may know.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

how the BASA changes the above

For a PPL-SEP:

• The 100hr-requirement is dropped
  • The requirements for written exams are dropped – only an oral portion during the skill test is necessary

For the IR, the process is basically identical to the CBIR-route, if you have > 50 hrs. IFR-PIC or > 10 hrs IFR-PIC in European airspace. If not, you need to do acclimatization flying at an ATO.

if the BASA gets around the ambiguity with the 50hr IFR PIC acceptance?

No, it does not. The wording is still “flight time under IFR”, which is defined in FCL.010 as “all flight time during which the aircraft
is being operated under the Instrument Flight Rules”

Last Edited by tschnell at 22 Dec 20:00
Friedrichshafen EDNY

Thank you. Is there any medical angle via the BASA? That’s a big issue for some % of pilots, especially in the relevant demographic.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Is there any medical angle via the BASA?

No. You even need to have both FAA and EASA medicals at the time of application for the conversion.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

I don’t know anyone with just the FAA licence despite there being several N regs in the area.
I do know a number who got FAA papers first and then did the CBIR route plus CPL here.
Others got 3 sets of papers, starting.in Canada, Quebec because of the language. They could talk with instructors in French and learn English at the same time. Then USA, I don’t know the Canada to US licence process before returning here and doing the CBIR and CPL. The ones I know don’t seem to think it was particularly onerous but I’ve never gone into detail with them. But it seemed to help because all of them got flying jobs of one kind or another.

France
Sign in to add your message