Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electric / hybrid aircraft propulsion (NOT cars)

Yeah, Norway is heaven. In Germany, a gasoline VW Up costs 10k€ in a simple version and the e-Up 27k€ in the standard version. Economically, electric cars do not make sense in Germany, don’t believe anybody who tells you otherwise. They are for people with discretionary income who think those cars are cool. Tax advantages are minuscule (you pay no car tax for 10 years but this tax is very small anyway, like 50€/year for a small ICE car and 400€ for an S-class).

The only real government incentive that really resonates with me is the free parking in the city. I can use all parking spots free of charge and especially the resident parking on the road. My town is extremely crowded and has resident parking all over. Too bad I live right next to the metro so I hardly ever use the car, especially as I’d be still caught in the same traffic jams and have to breathe the exhaust from the others.

Firstly it is not an added tax, it is a complete removal of tax, and you have to be rather uptight in your “ideals” to not welcome this

I would find that very appealing if it wasn’t a hook, apparently to be replaced by government tracking of individuals movements and billing them for moving, by the kilometer. That is obviously not an intrinsic feature of electric propulsion, just another in the dangerous series of attacks by government on individual liberty enabled by communication technology. I don’t want to be enslaved on auto-pay, as negotiated by time wasting, endless politics. On the plus side, change is constant too and the trick is to stay one step ahead of government, or to avoid the mass market and government attention entirely (flying an older, out of production plane in the US does that, mostly). There will be more steps, and I suspect that once there’s money in it, disabling tracking will get a lot of attention from people smarter than government will employ Or maybe some state/State governments will compete for car registrations by charging nothing per kilometer (no tracking), but more for annual registration.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Oct 16:17

With EuroGA’s impeccable electric credentials I may not be the first to mention this…

here, part way down

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The tail they stole from Diamond (maker of the ugliest tails in the industry), the middle is a Flight Design CT and the front… was just completed in 3 minutes. The nose wheel has a TBR of 3 landings it appears.

Still, great to see that there is progress.

I am sure Lydd and Le Touquet are watching this development keenly, being at the two ends of the endurance

And Shoreham and Bembridge – that will cover, what, 90% of GA requirements?

That’s a market for four charging stations already!

The 90 minute charge time is just right for a £2 all-day breakfast and a pint of bitter. Impeccable market research done by somebody.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Whaa haa haahhh – after a stressy day at work – yes yes! – this kind of comments is the perfect trigger for a good laugh!
And surely Calais LFAT will have more recharging power available, with a nuclear power plant on long final.

@achim: the doors are remarkably reminiscent of some type of microlight, too, an FK-9 perhaps? And the little triangular rear “windows” could come from an Aeroprakt A22, or even from my own Apollo Fox.

But honestly, I don’t share your misgivings about the nose wheel endurance, there seems to be a proper oleo strut AND proper folding guidance for whatever needs it down there AND an extra stress relief bar. There are far worse microlights around, in this respect.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
I am sure Lydd and Le Touquet are watching this development keenly, being at the two ends of the endurance

And Shoreham and Bembridge – that will cover, what, 90% of GA requirements?

That’s a market for four charging stations already!

The 90 minute charge time is just right for a £2 all-day breakfast and a pint of bitter. Impeccable market research done by somebody.

No way! The landing fee is ridiculous! It’s the cost of electricity for forty hours of flying!!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

A bit more sober: even when some secondary points deserve a broad grin, the wing ( a rather essential part of any aeroplane) seems to have been well considered, with progressive dihedral and progressive taper.

And the pilot (though likely not among the tallest) seems to have ample headroom, too.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

And every so often a UK pilot will try to make the 45 minute flight to Jersey for cheaper electricity…

EGTK Oxford

And every so often a UK pilot will try to make the 45 minute flight to Jersey for cheaper electricity…

Woooohooooo!!!! LOL, that’s my quote for the night!

Sign in to add your message