Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electric / hybrid aircraft propulsion (NOT cars)

Achim, mine has the two fast(er) charging options, 3-phase and DC that should be available in Germany too, although not retrofittable.

Sadly, there is no 3-phase AC charging for the BMW i3, it’s only single phase AC or DC. This is because the car only has one charger, for 3-phase you’d need 3 of them or you use the engine electronics in reverse mode like Renault does (and which is patented). The DC charging requires a transformer which is huge and costs north of 15,000 € so not quite what I want to have in my garage. I can charge it in 3.5h in my garage which is the best you can do with AC. It’s fine for me and as a big plus, the i3 can be charged very well with an ordinary 230V socket unlike most others which have huge losses in the mode so I just plug it in where ever I go (hint: hangar )

Perfect for us living on the relatively small island of Mallorca. No more ICE’s for me. When are these electric planes coming?

Not an island here but I fully agree. Never again an ICE car. So we’re already four on EuroGA (you, LeSving, Markus and myself)

Last Edited by achimha at 17 Oct 12:48

Achim you forgot his wife. lol

I live on a slightly larger island, but with excellent charging conditions.

Last Edited by mdoerr at 17 Oct 12:52
United Kingdom

I wanted to switch my wife’s Golf for an e-Golf (without her noticing I bet) but the charging system of that car stinks. 3.5kW maximum and the battery is bigger than the i3’s (because it’s damn heavy in comparison). Not attractive. I might get her a Renault Zoe but that car is very small. The Mercedes B class is just terribly ugly.

I don’t own one, but have almost ordered the Tesla numerous times. Might get the newly released P85D, but would ideally wait for the 3-series from them. Insane cars. My test drive of the P85+ a couple of months ago is still one of the most thrilling things I’ve done. All I can say is that they’re everywhere here in California. I see at least 20 each day, if not more. But, what’s surprised me is how little I read about them or hear about them in European press. Obviously, these cars make 3x times more sense in Europe where the fuel prices are 3x as high, yet not much talk about them. And when I was back in London just 2 weeks ago I didn’t spot a single one. Nor did I in Sweden. I find this very strange. I wonder if it’s the old European snobbism against American cars that play a part?

I wonder if it’s the old European snobbism against American cars that play a part?

More that it’s a huge car that costs way too much (100k€+). I wouldn’t want it, it’s too big and not particularly innovative either. Their mid-size project might be more successful over here.

Adam,
I don’t think the Tesla’s go unnoticed at all in Europe. It is becoming a huge hit in Norway, and I just heard of a taxi company in Holland buying a fleet of 50. I bet that outside of California, Europe is their biggest market. Awesome cars. Although I must admit I don’t really see the point of the new D model further improving the 0-100km/h acceleration to 3.5 sec or so. Waste of energy. I also look forward hearing about the 3-series. Kudos to Musk to pioneer this.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

But, what’s surprised me is how little I read about them or hear about them in European press

Well. Tesla Model S is the number one selling car model right now in Norway, in fact in March this year it was the most selling model within one month – ever. They are everywhere. Personally I don’t quite understand it. It’s expensive and noisy, it have this “tin can feel and sound” to it when on the road, nothing like the quietness of my several year old BMW. Even my little e-up! is quieter. But the Tesla is large and comfy and lots and lots and lots of HP, and very “futuristic”. In Norway (maybe everywhere?) they are sold with free lifetime charging.

My neighbor just bought an Opel Ampera (Chevrolet Volt). Its a chargeable hybrid car. He can drive approximately 50 km before the engine start. For everyday job, shopping etc, he never have to fill gasoline, but the car can also be used for longer travels and will then work like any other hybrid.

Fast charging stations are popping up everywhere, but to charge at home over night and at work is the only real practical solution as of yet.

Hydrogen is the most volatile and difficult fuel imaginable, and in my opinion only suitable for rockets Besides, to produce it “environmentally”, you first have to produce electricity (from the sun or wind/water), then distribute the electricity, then convert electricity to Hydrogen, then distribute the hydrogen, then convert hydrogen to electricity again in a fuel cell. To me this sounds very inefficient compared with going all electric.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Obviously Norway is a perfect place for electric cars of any stripe – 99% renewable electric, almost entirely hydroelectric, with infrastructure paid for by oil exports to the EU.

So 4 out of say 40 active EuroGA members ride electric. 10%. Imagine how that relates to the worldwide ratio of E vs ICE. I am proud of EuroGA! Who’s next? Mdoerr, don’t count my wife in.. She’d protest being associated with EuroGA. “Darling, will you listen to me when I talk to you? Ahh, exactly what I thought. You are looking at that silly aviators site again…”

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Tesla Model S is the number one selling car model right now in Norway, in fact in March this year it was the most selling model within one month – ever.

No, that was long time ago, now the #1 best selling car in Norway is the Nissan Leaf followed by the e-Golf. Model S only #6 which makes sense — best selling and high end usually do not go together!

Obviously Norway is a perfect place for electric cars of any stripe

You forget the real reason why people in Norway buy electric vehicles — they are the cheapest cars you can buy! Norway has prohibitive taxes on cars which do not apply to electric cars so the Volkswagen e-Up! is actually the cheapest car you can buy in Norway.

Sign in to add your message