Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Biggest things which stop people giving up flying?

…but apart from that they must be very comparable in raw mission capability.

That’s why I suggested the 421. I don’t really know about the runway requirements of the Jetprop, but a 421 can be safely operated from 600-700m of concrete (or 1000m of grass). And is has one big advantage: A single engine service ceiling at maximum takeoff mass that will allow you to continue a flight over the alps in any direction you like without hitting granite.

(but the fuel is half the price, once you are outside the UK)…

Not in Germany. At smaller airfields Avgas can be found for around 2,20€ (1,12 without tax) and JET A1 for 1,85 (0,90 without tax). If you want Jet A1 cheaper, you either need a contract with a supplier (usually only available at larger airports) or buy large amounts.

EDDS - Stuttgart

But why should someone hot start? I have performed between 4000 and 5000 turbine starts and there hasn’t been a single start malfunction, apart from the simulator where it goes wrong every second time. And even if something went wrong, with proper training (without which it would be foolish to operate any turbine driven aircraft) there should be no consequences at all.

You’d be surprised, we were looking at buying a Jetranger (not the one we have now) and the demonstration pilot, a CPL IR with 3000 hours on type started up with the throttle fully open as he had neglected to roll it closed as per standard checks, melted the hot section. Game over….

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

You’d be surprised, we were looking at buying a Jetranger (not the one we have now) and the demonstration pilot, a CPL IR with 3000 hours on type started up with the throttle fully open as he had neglected to roll it closed as per standard checks, melted the hot section. Game over….

But even doing a stupid thing like that – normal turbine starting procedure includes a constant monitoring of the temperature gauge while the engine is spooling up. As soon as it comes close to the red line, you cut the fuel supply (which is almost instantly, because you never remove your hand from the appropriate lever or button), no more fuel, no more temperature rise. So he not only didn’t read his before engine start checklist, but he didn’t monitor his instruments either. As if he wanted to ruin it deliberately…

EDDS - Stuttgart

I don’t know about the PT6A on the jetprops but i can tell you the Allison on the 206 shoots the TOT up to Red line in a very short time.

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

I don’t know about the PT6A on the jetprops but i can tell you the Allison on the 206 shoots the TOT up to Red line in a very short time.

I have seen this with the single-spool Garrett turboprops of the Metroliner too. But again: Once they are at the red line, you press the “Stop” button or bring the power/condition lever to cutoff and the temperature stops where it is. The P&Ws that I operate now have a red line (690°C) and a red triangle (740°C). You are allowed up to five seconds above the line, but zero seconds above the higher limit. So even exceeding the red line should give you plenty of time to save the engine…

EDDS - Stuttgart

‘I don’t know about the PT6A on the jetprops but i can tell you the Allison on the 206 shoots the TOT up to Red line in a very short time’

My instructor told me that the mixture control on a turbine is connected directly to your wallet….if it starts towards the red line pull it back, and quick!

Very true!

Nice thing about the helicopter is it makes flying my Commander seem incredibly cheap

Last Edited by PhilTheFlyer at 07 May 12:02
Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

I still think 300 per hour is too much

No this looks very reasonable. Our Arrow is somewhere between 250 and 300, if you count everything, i.e. including hangar, insurance, engine and prop funds

Of course you can operate an aircraft cheaper if you make more hours per year. But the point of owning an airplane is to have it available, while not being constantly in the air. The worst thing IMO is large syndicates – that combines the disadvantages of flying a club aircraft and owning an aircraft – you have the financial obligations of owning an aircraft, but it is never available when you want it like club aircraft.

LSZK, Switzerland

300 CHF? Where are you based at?

While we are getting sidetracked with stories of melted turbines, if you want to see the full horror of what it looks like when someone’s overtemped a turbine engine, just watch this video (the youtube channel is by a Canadian turbine mechanic).

The nasty stuff begins around 9 minutes in, and the real horror sets in towards the end of the 10 minute mark…

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message