Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Thank you for not killing me (flying behind the power curve)

Was it a hot and high situation? With only 2 on board, and if he had full tanks, even if he did rotate and climbed below vx, and even without levelling off to pick up a bit of airspeed – I’d still expect an aircraft like that to recover some speed and start climbing out. Camera mounts and angles can be deceptive, but this doesn’t look like a steep 12 degree nose up attitude or something.

NCYankee
I am NO Bonanza expert, but I never raise the nose of (any) aircraft when the stall warning comes on, nevermind if it comes on a bit early, which they all do. I’d like to know the density altitude…

I have a B36TC POH here and it says that the T.O. distance over a 50 ft obstacle is 3050 ft (!) at MTOM … and that’s with a 10 kt headwind at only 15° C …. And that’s with Flaps 15 and 77 kts at 50 ft. Without flaps (other data the same) it’s 3200 ft over a 50 ft obstacle.

Is that the answer, maybe? If that data is comparable with the A36 (B36TC should be much better, i think) then …. if the weather was really warm – they’re lucky to be alive.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 11 Feb 19:00
NCYankee
I am NO Bonanza expert, but I never raise the nose of (any) aircraft when the stall warning comes on, nevermind if it comes on a bit early, which they all do. I’d like to know the density altitude…

The airport is close to sea level, 267 MSL. Even on a hot day the density altitude would not be over 1500 feet. The engine was a IO550TN, so would not be as much affected by this. Regardless, this was not a factor. With respect to the momentary beeps, they can occur way above the stall and can and must be ignored, otherwise in a Bonanza, you will get the performance in the video. I suspect the airplane was at least 25 Kts above the stall. If the aircraft stalls at 17 degrees power on in this configuration, it accelerates in the climb from lift off at 67 Kts to 77 Kts at 50 feet when using 12 degrees pitch up which indicates it is not on the back side of the power curve. The Bonanza has a very draggy gear and high airspeeds with the gear down kill climb performance. Also, with the gear down, the stall speed is lower by about 5 Kts than with the gear up. During the process of raising the gear, performance also suffers when the gear is in transition because the inner gear doors are first extended, adding to the drag for a time period until the main wheels are up, then the inner gear doors close. This is more critical on the earlier Bonanzas that have an 11 second gear retraction time. The 28 volt aircraft, including the G36 has a much faster gear cycle (4 seconds) and this is less of an effect.

All this is extremely easy to demonstrate. This pilot held your opinion and it was incorrect for this aircraft and this misunderstanding could have resulted in fatalities. If you want to read a more extensive discussion that was done on BeechTalk at the time, see http://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48311&hilit=Chris+Palmer

If you are not a member, you have to join to be able to read the discussion, but it is 21 pages long. I made several comments on this at the time.

KUZA, United States

The A36TC and B36TC is a lower powered airplane than the IO550TN and doesn’t have the same performance. From my copy of the G36 POH, for 3650 pounds, 1000 MSL, 30 degrees C, zero wind, ground roll is 1200 feet and clearing a 50 foot obstacle is 2700 feet. From where the pilot started on the runway, there was 2770 feet to the end of the pavement, so had he followed the procedure I outlined, he would have crossed the departure end at 50 AGL and 77 Kts.

They are lucky to be alive, but they would have had no problem if they had followed the appropriate speeds. He was scared by the beep-beep and it nearly killed him and his passenger.

KUZA, United States

Interesting, thank you.

But if you take into account that pilot technique is a bit worse than what the Beech test pilot could do then it doesn’t look like they crossed the end of the runway lower than 50 feet. But the trees look pretty tall, don’t they?

I wonder why the IO-550 TC version would have such a higher performance than the turbocharged IO-520, that has 300 hp aswell. But if that is the data you have then it is substantially better!

As I said I have no experience in the Bonanza, other than one short flight. But it would really be the frist airplane in whcih I’d ignore the stall warning close to the ground.

If you fly attitude without acceleration or with an AOA, they are more reliable than a stall warning device. I have seen momentary but erroneous stall warning indications, particularly on takeoff, with other aircraft as well. Regardless, one needs to know the airplane they are flying.

KUZA, United States

Sure one gets spurious stall warnings. I get beeps after every takeoff even in smooth air, and I rotate over 70kt.

Isn’t the Bonanza behaviour unusual? I have little flying experience of other types, and even less at low speeds, but the TB20 (which I have ~1500hrs in) goes up like a rocket, with a 1200fpm climb in still air and anything up to 2500fpm in say a 15-20kt headwind. As a result I don’t bother with Vx or Vy which are both uselessly slow for CHT management and after the first 20 seconds or so I trim for 120kt.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, of course. My Warrior will always protest a little bit if rotated too aggressively on take-off, but you just release the yoke a tiny bit ad it will not go off again. In the Cirrus I never hear it, it just has too much power and the attitude to release the warning is ridiculously steep, Vx is very nose high …

The Bonanza is a well behaved airplane with a great range of performance, high speed, low speed, short field, etc. It is a very good glider if you know how, although not as good as a Mooney in this department, The controls are the nicest of any type I have flown. My logbook shows 44 types. Without a proper checkout, a pilot leaves a lot of capability and performance on the table. I tell people who are stepping up to a faster airplane not to fly in the Bonanza unless they are prepared to buy one. It is like the WWI song about returning GI’s “How do you keep them down on the farm after they’ve seen Paree?”

Of course, I may be slightly biased as I am coming up on my 35th year anniversary with my Bonanza.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message