Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Should we have a "non-aviation technical" forum section?

This has been suggested and I think it is a great idea.

Many discussions need something like that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am all for it, yes.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I don’t get what you mean. What would we discuss ?

LFOU, France

Technical topics completely unrelated to aviation do more or less fit into Hangar Talk. On the other hand, we may benefit from a new section dedicated to GA (+ anything directly or indirectly related) from the viewpoint of makers (design/certification/production engineers, homebuilders, etc.) as opposed to users (pilots/owners). Given the relative abundance of engineers and scientists on the forum, a place to discuss more hardcore engineering stuff would not only have an entertainment value, but also provide an opportunity for professional cross-pollination. Alternatively, we may expand the Maintenance section into something like Engineering, or Maintenance/Design/Production, etc.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 09 Mar 21:48
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Non-aviation technical stuff, that is microlights and hang gliders and stuff like that?

Joking 😉

I don’t see the necessity. This is hangar talk…? Like the thread about all about cars..

And then, where does the giant thread about “Climate change” fit in? It could be many topics.

Do we have so many threads in hangar talk that it needs further separation? That’s what I would check.

Last Edited by UdoR at 10 Mar 08:14
Germany

Jujupilote wrote:

I don’t get what you mean. What would we discuss ?

We can discuss ESP32 vs STM32 vs RP2040 – one of Peter’s favorite topics!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I also believe we have sufficient number sections and “non-aviation technical” can fit into “hangar Talk”.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

We can discuss ESP32 vs STM32 vs RP2040 – one of Peter’s favorite topics

No. This was suggested by others. Anyway, CPUs etc can go into the IT section.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To me it makes zero difference. I never even know which section a thread is in.

I access the forum through the main page which doesn’t note any sections.
If the last thread on that main page shows a post that I’ve not seen before (in other words reading this page doesn’t show all threads with a new posting since I last visited), then I look at the “Active Threads” section which again just lists the threads irrespective of what section it’s in.

So if you invented 10 new sections, I’d not notice any difference, good or bad, other than having to select one when creating a new thread.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message