Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hijack - TV Series

Peter wrote:

This leads to a debate whether one should assemble the cockpit crew randomly, versus letting the same pair fly together a lot

I thought random selection of cockpit crew has been the norm for at least 40 years? (The Soviet Union was different, and possibly other eastern bloc countries.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Have there been any studies of how many lives have been saved by the locked door policy?

Very unpopular opinion, but lives saved by that policy? Exactly zero :-(

I do wonder what kind of ‘studies’ would disprove that number…. Anybody can make wild claims about lives saved.

What happen on 9/11 could only be done once. On that same day, it could not be done on the fourth plane, once the passengers heard of the previous ones.
22 years later, it has not been done again, not because of the security theatre, but because it will be impossible to tell passengers to sit down and wait it out. Or because of the threat of an F16 shooting the plane down.

As you correctly point out, the locked door has lead to preventable deaths on the Germanwings case and probably more.

It is a very emotional subject, and I understand that professional pilots will have more emotions around it, but to my simple mind, the locked door is causing more harm than good.

Last Edited by hmng at 21 Jul 16:06
EHLE, Netherlands
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message