Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Medical Renewal risks and Cardiovascular Health

Dr. Nomy told me the same thing (except we didn’t discuss statins).

I’m minded to stick with him as he’s younger than me so probably won’t retire before I snuff it, and hopefully he won’t snuff it before me (my last AME – the only one in the Isle of Man – died of cancer, he was in his 70s by then. Really nice man too, it’s a big loss to us).

Andreas IOM

Well this week I had my first post 65 stress ECG which fortunately went OK

I lost a couple of kilos in the run up to the test and hope to lose a couple more.

Next one in four years, all things being equal.

I don’t do any BP type medication but BP was quite respectable, if not quite in my boots :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@Peter. It’s not the vasectomy that would eliminate the excuses, it’s the avoidance of marriage What happens to the man who has chooses to have no children for all around betterment of the world is that his eventual wife, the one that was driven by instinct to have a child with her first husband, travels to see the now-grown child….

That leaves the man taking care of the now-expanded household including its local surrogate children (pets) while the wife is away, and this limits his overnight flying as a result

Sorry for expanding the thread drift. I just finished mowing the lawn, but on the other hand I’m exercising and not taking statins.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Apr 18:08

Best thing for your health (and wealth) is a vasectomy

Then everybody can have a Jetprop, and nobody has an excuse to not come to a fly-in.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Yeah… a fairly standard NHS “what is good for the population as a whole” view I wonder if he takes all that stuff?

My AME actually said something very similar – that perhaps everyone should go on a cocktail of statins, metformin and a couple of other things. I have no idea what he himself takes.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

I wonder if he takes all that stuff?

He confirmed that he takes statins as a preventative. He is very thin and he tells me his BP is so low “it is in his boots”. He does not take BPO meds.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Thanks for the update.

Yeah… a fairly standard NHS “what is good for the population as a whole” view I wonder if he takes all that stuff? More specifically if he takes BP medication and does much (or any) physical activity. The “start to develop plaque on their cardiac arteries, regardless of diet” is also, yeah, in the same league. Most in the business quietly admit that “politics is the art of the possible” and most people will never change their diet, so… pills and more pills!

Anyway, we’ve done that stuff to death, and the same 2 or 3 people don’t like the discussion every time, and you got good news!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

SO – QUESTION: If I tell my AME that my doctor wants me to take statins etc is this going to lead to him requiring me to do a full “cardiac evaluation”? Does anyone know what symptoms trigger such a process? Is there a formal FAA/CAA/NAA definition of cardiac disease? Or will my AME take a reasonable approach and simply say, sure, it’s a good preventative measure, go ahead.

I BRING GOOD NEWS!!

I can answer the question I posed a couple of months ago – and it is very good news.

I had my FAA and CAA medical renewal exams today, with Dr Nomy Ahmed of Flying Medicine in Watford, outer London, UK.

He told me definitively that in his view a recommendation from my GP to take statins would in no way force him to start a cardiac evaluation. In fact – he is of the view that ALL males over the age of 40, whether pilots or lesser mortals, should take statins regardless of their BP or cholesterol levels. His view is that the science is clear:

• all men over the age of 30 start to develop plaque on their cardiac arteries, regardless of diet, exercise, genetics etc
  • the latest statins do two key things: 1) stabilise existing plaque deposits thus reducing chance of a plaque breaking off and causing stroke/heart attack, 2) actually start to dissolve plaque deposits
  • they also have an anti inflammatory effect generally which is good for a whole host of reasons including to reduce risk of dementia, prostate cancer etc
  • the side effects of modern statins are low risk in his view
  • he only requires a pilot starting statins to not fly for a “couple of days” just to be sure there are no adverse effects
  • he is similarly of the view that most male pilots should also take BP medication; even if your BP is under the limit as any reduction is good. Thus “135 is better than 140, 130 is better than 135, 125 is better than 130 etc”. However, a pilot starting BP medication is required to be grounded for two weeks and to then take a BP test by their GP to be reported to their AME.
Last Edited by Buckerfan at 15 Apr 16:08
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Well according to the info I have if you dont feel fit to fly you should not fly. A lot of it involves trust that the FAA is giving the pilots. Otherwise there would be a regulation book as thick as the US tax code covering every contingency which a pilot might encounter.

KHTO, LHTL

Yes, common sense. But what to do between the moment you suspect something may be wrong with your heart and the moment your doctor gives you the final result, that all is fine? Do the rules say something about grounding yourself in the meantime, which may also be common sense

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
117 Posts
Sign in to add your message