Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Revalidation at 30 with ECG?

Hi All,

I have my Class 2 renewal coming up in September. I’ve been told that I’ve got to have an ECG included?

I didn’t know that was a thing. I had one done initially afaik and then this will be my third.

https://www.caa.co.uk/media/jgbgqgsn/0-medical-certificate-validity-table-may2022.pdf

Anyone know why?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Because your AME is confusing you with a Class 1? Or you have a pre-existing condition that warrants increased cardiovascular surveillance?

Part-MED.B.010:

(a) Examination

(1) A standard 12-lead resting electrocardiogram (ECG) and report shall be completed when clinically indicated and at the following moments:

(i) for a class 1 medical certificate, at the initial examination, then every 5 years until age 30, every 2 years until age 40, annually until age 50, and at all revalidation or renewal examinations thereafter;

(ii) for a class 2 medical certificate, at the initial examination, at the first examination after age 40 and then at the first examination after age 50, and every 2 years thereafter.

(2) An extended cardiovascular assessment shall be required when clinically indicated.

ELLX

pilotrobbie wrote:

Anyone know why?

That usually happens if you turn 50 before next medical, i.e. if you are already 48 and you are about to go to your medical, then they’ll ask you for an ECG, as one must be done before you turn 50. If that is not correct, and medical history is OK as well, then just challenge them – they could be just trying to get more money from you. :)

EGTR

I’ve been told it’s because I never had an initial ECG. Which was a thing when I did my initial Class 2 because I was 20. (I am sure I had one…)

Apparently now the CAA have demanded AME’s do an ECG on next medical.

EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

I’ve been told it’s because I never had an initial ECG. Which was a thing when I did my initial Class 2 because I was 20. (I am sure I had one…)

Apparently now the CAA have demanded AME’s do an ECG on next medical.

If you had one, then it sound suspiciously like an excuse to “earn” a few more quid…

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

If you had one, then it sound suspiciously like an excuse to “earn” a few more quid…

£80 is a lot lol, almost 30 minutes flying time for me. I’ve gave the AME written permission to check CELLMA.

I never knew about this CAA mess-up of allowing people to have no ECG’s if they were “Young”.

EGSG, United Kingdom

Had the ECG, flagged up Incomplete RBBB. Which the AME can sign off, but he’s referred to a cardiologist – and that’ll be another £60, even though CAA say AME can sign it off for Class 1/Class 2.

I had a friend look at it too who works in A&E, and the “Assistant” at the AME who did my ECG has put one of the leads upside down. Seriously – £80 ecg, and the thing wasn’t even done correctly.

Anyway, more hoops to jump through… (I am just getting the sense of this money train from what I’ve heard from others recently on Class 1/Class 2s)

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 19 Aug 13:04
EGSG, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message