Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AFIS - when is it chosen?

Maybe I am being overly pessimistic? Any ideas/suggestions/alternate views?

Most traffic around an airport having ADS-B IN and OUT works better than any verbal description to describe traffic position. If that traffic also says what they intend to do next on the radio occasionally, all is well. There is no need to waste people’s time on the ground.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Sep 14:05

IIUC in France the decision as to whether or not to employ an AFIS is taken locally.
The AFIS here does as NCYankee describes.
Most here either work alone or perhaps there will also be a fireman on site.
As in the USA it is not necessary to have an AFIS even with an IAP and it is not necessary to cancel IFR until one is on the ground even when landing on an airfield in A/A.
It operates here very similarly to the USA except for the circle to land on an A/A field.

France

One thing to consider is opening hours.

AFIS comes with AFIS hours. Some airports close when AFIS is closed and home operates simply operate A/A when AFIS is closed.

I’ve seen airports introduce AFIS to cover all opening hours, then when budgets got tighter, AFIS cut back their hours, and airport opening hours cut to match rather than going A/A when AFIS was closed.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

AFIS comes with AFIS hours. Some airports close when AFIS is closed and home operates simply operate A/A when AFIS is closed.

I’ve seen airports introduce AFIS to cover all opening hours, then when budgets got tighter, AFIS cut back their hours, and airport opening hours cut to match rather than going A/A when AFIS was closed.

This is analog to what already happened at LESB re the ops mgr and firemen. There was a brief period when manning was not required by AIP, but then someone realized the labour implications and decided apt opening hours==manning hours, turning the airport into a workplace provider to the detriment of operating hours and associated safety.
MAybe for AFIS some common sense prevails favouring a better balance as you suggested.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

My understanding is that a FIS0 can do ground control, but cannot give instructions to those in the air.
I have had this service at airports where it is permanent and some which sometimes have ATC.
I have used these airfields with permission and no one on duty, making air to air calls.No problems.
I can’t see how a FISO would make any difference to the nearby ATC airport. Contacting them on (or before) departure would make sense.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

My understanding is that a FIS0 can do ground control, but cannot give instructions to those in the air.

Historically the authority of FISO over ground movements has varied between countries. According to current EASA rules, AFISOs do not control ground aircraft movements. If the competent authority so decides, they control ground vehicle traffic.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

dublinpilot wrote:

One thing to consider is opening hours.

That is one thing that the US excels at. Just because the local ASOS or other source of the altimeter setting is unavailable does not typically cause IFR operations to cease because most approaches have a remote altimeter setting option with adjustments for minimums if they need to be used. Even for night operations, lights are controllable by the pilot, so no one in attendance is just not an issue, the airport remains open.

KUZA, United States

The risk I see with AFIS here in the UK is that a lot of the “controllers” appear to be “confused” as to whether they are FISOs or ATCOs and get overly-controlling. The job seems to occassionally attract the “little hitler” personality.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know a glorious example of this at Kemble, when a helicopter pilot was reported to the CAA by a FISO for disobeying instructions. As helicopters with skids only move when in flight, the pilot’s report back to the CAA included reporting the FISO for exceeding his authority.

As far as I know, the matter was then closed!

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message