Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AFIS - when is it chosen?

In Germany there is no distinction between A/G and AFIS

That’s not correct. Airfields with IFR procedures and RMzs are now designated as AFIS (this started 2 or 3 years ago). Callsign “Information”. All other uncontrolled aerodromes only have a Flugleitung (callsign “Info”).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

MedEwok wrote:

there is no distinction between AFIS and ATC either…

That sounds odd, since EASA makes a distinction. ATC is control, AFIS is uncontrolled (information). I think in Norway the rule is still that for IFR, AFIS is required, at least that used to be the case. It is however also the case that AFIS can just pop up whenever needed. When the tower is manned (and the person acts as an AFIS officer), the airport becomes AFIS, else it is just an airport. Nowadays AFIS airport are increasingly operated remotely.

It’s all up to the aerodrome operator. 99% of private fields have no tower, no AFIS.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

boscomantico wrote:

now designated as AFIS (this started 2 or 3 years ago). Callsign “Information”.

I am surprised, wasn’t it discussed to make them ‘radio’ instead of ‘info’?
With your setting there would be confusion with FIS and AFIS both being ‘information’.

Germany

MichaLSA wrote:

I am surprised, wasn’t it discussed to make them ‘radio’ instead of ‘info’?
With your setting there would be confusion with FIS and AFIS both being ‘information’.

AFIS should properly be “information”. A/G should properly be “radio”.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

You wanna discuss ‘properly’ with German authorities? Good Luck! ;-)

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 12 Jan 11:50
Germany

LeSving wrote:

That sounds odd, since EASA makes a distinction. ATC is control, AFIS is uncontrolled (information

Please read the whole sentence I wrote. The distinction is of course there, I was merely alluding to the attitude displayed by some Flugleiter who act as if they have the same authority as a controller.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Please read the whole sentence I wrote. The distinction is of course there, I was merely alluding to the attitude displayed by some Flugleiter who act as if they have the same authority as a controller.

I suggest in this forum we no longer refer to special Muppets Show Effects called ‘Flugleiter’ …
It would look as odd from outside Germany as it is, ok, shows Germans can be silly and funny ;-).

Germany

Airborne_Again wrote:

AFIS is “information”, but where is A/G properly defined? In Norway we use the term “traffic” at airfields whether blind or live (don’t know why). Some small fields like to be called “international” You can in fact here this from time to time, for instance “Grønøra International” (ENGS is a 600 m small strip, no tower, no AFIS).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

AFIS is “information”, but where is A/G properly defined?

ICAO Annex 10.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Air to Ground is what somebody on the ground uses to contact aircraft in the air, isn’t that obvious? That odd usage is I believe an artifact of the UK taxation/licensing system, in which licensed ground stations pay a substantial annual fee, so as result they ‘don’t exist’. Perhaps somebody will correct me on the details, but regardless like most things where taxation is concerned the situation soon becomes irrational.

‘Podunk Traffic’ is what we use on the radio in the US too because when you broadcast, you are addressing traffic in the area of Podunk airport. I’m glad that otherwise away from Class D and up airports we are left alone and not burdened with ‘A/G’ or AFIS nonsense.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Jan 15:19
Sign in to add your message