Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Veritasium: The Man Who Accidentally Killed The Most People In History

Thanks to the person who sent me a large bunch of materials about TEL as a consequence of my post no4 in this thread.

Just to make it clear: I don’t contest the dangers of TEL and I will be very glad to see it gone for good. My airplane does a lot better on UL91 than 100LL and once the FAA unearths their fingers from their backsides and gets the GAMI replacement going, also the larger airplanes should be ok with unleaded fuel. TEL is a huge problem for spark plug fouling and sticky valves, let alone what ever else it does to people, so the quicker it’s gone the better.

What miffed me is the title of that film, which has clickbait written all over it.

The Man Who Accidentally Killed The Most People In History

So the guy who invented TEL to solve a problem at the time is now accused to be in one line with all sorts of mass psychopath warmongers and murderers. Nope, thanks. This for me disqualifies the whole documentary as clickbait and therefore I would under normal circumstanes not watch it. Apart, most of this is common knowledge under a new wrapper with the clear goal to make more clicks, subscriptions and therefore money.

I happen to know some guys who do YT for a living, often in conjunction with a Patreon account. Many of them will get a great channel together and go on quite happily for a long time… until they note a decrease in views and money. Some then fall into the trap of inventing more and more ridikulous clickbait titles for the next movie. Some of them got a pretty harsh feedback from me and other regulars, and several stopped doing this. Their life is exciting enough to stupidify their work by sensationalizing their titles.

Someone told me, it’s only click bait if the title indicates something else than the movie actually shows. (Same goes for title pics on youtube e.t.c.) I happen to think that the definition should be wider: Clickbait is any title, pic or whatever which is unnecessarily sensationalized in order to get people to watch the movie. Be that in travel movies where the only 2 second bikini pic is used as a teaser image or that a title indicates that some earth shattering sensation is unearthed where as the actual content (in most cases luckily) does not correspond to what the title says. In this case, accusing the inventer of TEL to be an even inadvertent killer clearly makes this title junk.

And while we all agree that TEL has to go, maybe we should try to convince people who run good channels to stay honest with their titles and not to fall for clickbait b.s. Because many of them will find that it may get them some clicks for this one product but will make the regulars unsubscribe and run far and fast. I’ve seen that happen too.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Its killed god knows how many exhaust valves of small continentials

The removal of lead from all gasoline starting in the 70s, and the agenda of those pursing the issue that lead oxide exhaust emissions are harmful was promoted by the perception that lead was removed from auto fuel for health reasons, even if it wasn’t. Facts have had and still have little to do with it, in my view. Videos of the type In the OP do nothing but support that point of view.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Jun 16:37

Silvaire wrote:

Lead was removed from car gasoline because it fouls catalytic converters that were introduced to the US car market in the 70s, it was not related it the health hazards of lead oxides in engine exhaust.

Which is because these health hazards were not known, or at least not appreciated, at the time.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 12 Jun 16:21
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Lead was removed from car gasoline because it fouls catalytic converters that were introduced to the US car market in the 70s, it was not related to health hazards of lead oxides in engine exhaust. I’m not terribly interested in the health issue of lead oxide emissions from non-catalyzed engine exhaust, personally. My bigger concern is that despite it being a pretty good solvent that leaves no smell behind, I feel emotionally bad if I succumb to the urge to use 100LL to clean parts or the belly of my plane, even if it’s unlikely to have much if any effect on me within my lifespan. Also, my engine would be a lot happier without lead deposits in the cylinder heads or oil.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Jun 17:34

Depends on the “car gasoline”. The old UK 5-star had a lot more lead than 2-star.

The problem is that this stuff is hard to prove because of the huge time lags. Yes we know lead is bad for your health, but lots of things in society change more or less concurrently. For example a general awareness of “lead being bad for you” drives multiple things: lead in car fuel, lead in water pipes (the US was reportedly quite slow to remove these, and I am sure there are others because it is hard to do), lead in architecture (no real replacement yet), lead in solder (no scientifically proven risk on that one but still the EU forced an enormously expensive ban), and the combination makes it very hard to simply state that lead in car fuel caused this or that.

And concurrently there have been many other social changes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

It’s not rocket science that lead is nasty but are we sure about quantities in today aircraft vs 1960 cars?

- Avgas 91UL is NO Lead
- Avgas 100LL is LOW Lead

I’ve been told that 100LL is low lead compared to previous aviation gasoline, but is still more lead than car gasoline had…

Last Edited by lionel at 12 Jun 15:43
ELLX

Ibra wrote:

Health damage and low IQ from lead TEL exposure is unquestionable, there is plenty of data on that

Indeed. As you, say there is an unquestionable casual link between TEL and brain damage. That is quite different from the web site Peter mentions (which I have been aware of for many years) which searches for whatever correlations can be found between obviously (in most cases) unrelated things.

Then, of course, there is this.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 12 Jun 14:41
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Health damage and low IQ from lead TEL exposure is unquestionable, there is plenty of data on that

The claims on TEL vs level of crimes in society is “way too complex to infer statistically”, I think education, poverty and urbanisation has way more effects on crime levels…if you ignore lack of sex (or too much of it without durex) and watching Hollywood films

PS: on plotting curves, there is a link between solar spots and starting war followed by fiscal stimulus, obviously, you need 3-factor and levels of correlation to get that conclusion

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Jun 09:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I recall it has been shown that the pattern of star constellations 15000 years ago closely resembles the layout of fire stations in New York City. This relates to a famous book, only slightly less notorious than one of a similar name which was also a really great read, as one might expect, it having been written by a self confessed charlatan And half the claims in the climate change arena show correlations with lots of stuff. That’s the great thing about correlations; to paraphrase the old joke about British Standards (BSxxxx) “there are so many to choose from”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message