Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Credit cards blocked when travelling (and fraud generally)

Airborne_Again wrote:

It’s interesting that I’ve never had a card blocked — neither when travelling or when buying abroad.

You live in the land of dreams when it comes to digital bank systems. The IT infrastructure in the Nordic is constructed different to other regions and much much much more modern. Your bank systems interfaces won’t shut down every night or over the weekend … as many others in EU. So be happy living in Sweden.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 06 Jan 09:44
Germany

“It’s interesting that I’ve never had a card blocked — neither when travelling or when buying abroad.”
Me neither, Have used a Caxton card in France,Spain, Germany, Austria,Italy and USA, never had a problem.

EGNS, Other

I’ve never had a card blocked

Me too.
I have for many years also used a Caxton card alongside my Crédit Agricole french account without any problems.
People are speaking well of a Revolut account/card. I have one, but have not yet put it into operation.
I would appreciate fellow Flyers experience on this.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

People are speaking well of a Revolut account/card. I have one, but have not yet put it into operation.

You get live notifications and approvals on your phone, plus virtual cards which make them useful for dodgy online payments

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’ve never had a card blocked

Yeah but… the details? Are you using the physical card, and a) in the reader or b) contactless? I use mine mostly via the phone – by far the most convenient. But clearly this triggers some extra checking.

Yeah, but… Halifax got ripped off big-time by frausters using the Revolut system somehow. I got 6k taken from my card account. I don’t know the details, and banks never communicate, but it seems you can add somebody’s CC onto your Revolut card, without their authorisation.

Your bank systems interfaces won’t shut down every night or over the weekend … as many others in EU

I don’t think UK banks shut down at night for fraud detection either, but they switch to chimp script monkey centres.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

Revolut account/card

I’ve had one for a few years: basically an group of international bank accounts with pre-pay debit card offering excellent FX (foreign exchange) rates. For example paying Kortrijk €30 by international bank transfer it saved me ~£14 compared to NatWest. The downsides:

• You can only contact them through the app; admittedly all banks I know have middling to poor customer service.
  • They do sometimes charge commission: 1% at weekends, and 0.5% when you spend over 1k.
  • So far I’ve had two problems, both flying related: charged twice at LFAC in 2020 (payment reverted about 2 weeks later), and my Info-pilote subscription failed last week (should revert on Sunday).
  • 2 or 3 retailers refused to accept it.

Overall I would still recommend it.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I would definitely recommend Revolut.
If they have a suspicious transaction they will block your card but you can unblock it immediately with yourself within the app. (Got it 2 weeks ago while renewing skydemon)
The exchange rate is very good and there is no fee if you transfer money during working hours.

EBZW, Belgium

Just a remark, Revolut is not a bank, but only a FinTec company without banking license.

Germany

I understood Revolut did have a banking license

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 07 Jan 12:35
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

MichaLSA wrote:

Just a remark, Revolut is not a bank, but only a FinTec company without banking license.

Source

Last Edited by Dimme at 07 Jan 14:27
ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message