Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Relative number of aircraft being flown

If you want to get a ball park for relative aircraft numbers, the new FlightRadar24 website allows you to add a filter for aircraft type.

For example here are the currently flying aircraft with a type of “TRIN” (TB20 = Trinidad)

And these are the one that somehow have a type of “TB20”! (Should be TRIN as far as I know).

Obviously it will only show those in flight within a receiver range. But it will allow you to get an idea of relative numbers of different types.
For example you could compare that to the number of C172 and get a idea of the relative numbers of those aircraft.

I thought it interesting, and others might find it interesting too.

To use it, go to the new site, click “Filters” at the bottom and then add a filter for “Aircraft”. Once you add the type code (what you’d put on a flight plan) then you need to tick the box to apply it.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Nice, thanks. Also gives an impression of the production rate of types of aircraft, as delivery date and serial numbers are shown

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

ICAO code for TB20 is now TB20

Also it shows only Mode S targets, so it won’t show anyone who wants to keep a low profile – lots and lots of people.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FR24 also shows MLAT targets as far as I can see

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Mode C does not give the reg, type, etc. It could be tracked but you get no data, and if two of them cross tracks, similar altitude, and do so at a shallow angle, you won’t know for sure which one is which afterwards unless they had different squawks

FR24 etc will be Mode S or ADS-B.

Mode S will indeed be done with MLAT because the GPS location is not (in GA) emitted.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

MLAT display on tracking sites should work with Mode-C as well, not only Mode-S, shouldn’t it?

always learning
LO__, Austria

MLAT display on tracking sites should work with Mode-C as well, not only Mode-S, shouldn’t it?

Where would you get the registration from ?

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

Where would you get the registration from ?

Even displaying the squawk is not sure to work with 7000, listening squaks, all aircraft in a FIS sector having the same squawk etc.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

FR24 works with ICAO hex codes I think.

always learning
LO__, Austria

But mode A+C don’t send out hex codes.

EBST, Belgium
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message