Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FIR Handover - France or Belgium to London Info

Even the SIA en route chart is lines only as is the 1:1m in the VFR pack. So I suppose that is why SD don’t do it. I don’t recall ever seeing a French chart with the airways marked as corridors. It’s just a line which in training you learn that you have 5nm each side.

France

In the UK this would be hell because anybody setting 2000, or flying on an IFR FP, and going into E without an explicit clearance is going to get busted.

In France, they are less bothered, for various reasons, one of which is that VFR in E can be done non-radio.

French airways in Class E are not show as Class E in SD

Does SD show UK Class E as the full extents?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This isn’t surprising as it isn’t blanket class E above a certain altitude as in say, Germany.

That is why SkyDemon won’t show it you need to write for lines of code if it was a general or polygone Echo it’s easy to plot as parsed from AIP, the view in “Airway Mode” is enough

SIA don’t show them neither, the 1:500k is unreadable (not even in ENR6.1 “carte de croisière, espace inférieur”), bizzarrely, CAA map I attached before shows them for NW of France, making sure those departing IFR OCAS on I-FPL would call Lille on FIR boundary before going overhead Calais & LeTouquet

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Aug 08:05
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

French ATC seem to see Class E shapes (not just centrelines) because if you ask for some DCTs (when IFR) they warn you that you will pass out of CAS.

Why French VFR charts do not show the shapes is not surprising; for a start they are relevant only above FL055/065, and there is almost no traffic there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why French VFR charts do not show the shapes is not surprising; for a start they are relevant only above FL055/065, and there is almost no traffic there.

For many years the “official” French SIA VFR airspace maps didn’t show airspace above FL55… only recently have they changed to show airspace up to FL115.

Peter wrote:

Does SD show UK Class E as the full extents?

Yes it does.

EGTR

skydriller wrote:

This isn’t surprising as it isn’t blanket class E above a certain altitude as in say, Germany.

It is not a blanket class E. It only extends 5 NM each side of an ATS route centreline. In some places, there is “filler” class E between routes which extends more than 5 NM from the centreline of each route. Such class E is shown in SkyDemon. (E.g. around ATGIV to the NW of Dieppe.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

While ago I double checked if some triangles near Dieppe were errors, actually they are listed in AIP as such just have the Echo Airway in between

Specifically for France, I wonder if STAR & SID OCAS in Golf have 5NM or 1NM of Echo airspace around? one ATC thinks they do have Echo airspace attached to them as well and they require clearance, in the other hand, it’s crystal clear that an isolated ILS or LPV in Golf like Cherbourg do not require clearance (some require QNH to be obtained from ATC)

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Aug 11:26

Did the following route on Friday. It’s a well-known enroute arrival for Stapleford.

KONAN > L9 > DVR > L6 > DET
(EBOS N0125F100 KONAN3M KONAN L9 DVR L6 DET EGSG)

Had to wait on the ground for a good 5-10 minutes to be released by London. Surprising, but must be because you are launching a SID straight into their airspace (KONAN) – however if you are already enroute, there’s obviously little they can do. Which must be that because of low level CAS, it requires handover coord via phone and not push and tag the flight strip.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Had to wait on the ground for a good 5-10 minutes to be released by London…it requires handover coord via phone and not push and tag the flight strip.

But no CTOT was issued

Sign in to add your message