Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Energy crisis & inflation : will GA survive in Europe ?

MedEwok wrote:

But taking others with me was always part of my motivation to get into GA and as a 99 kg 1,92 m male the useful load on most ULMs isn’t that great.

On that figures I’d say, forget about Microlights/UL. Just to think – an old 6-banger 172 (pre-Lycosaurus) might be a good choice, cheap to own and fly and “in the unlikely event of cabin pressure increase by spouse attending” also capable to get the missis on a nice ride.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 09 Feb 09:39
Germany

MichaLSA wrote:

On that figured I’d say, forget about Microlights/UL.

No need to
https://www.acbs-motorflug.de/vampire-ii.html

…and only 45 minutes cardrive away from EDVM.

EDLE

boscomantico wrote:

Sure, joining fees and annual fees are rather high, but then hourly costs are low.

Quite low hourly costs, I’d say.

But what’s the purpose of joining fees?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Sad to hear @MedEwok! I’m however pretty sure you’ll find a solution, maybe at an aeroclub instead, or maybe at another nearby airfield? I’m not familiar with Hildesheim, but I do think the area around Hannover should offer enough possibilities. Either aeroclubs, flight schools and/or aircraft owners.

Yes, I do know aeroclubs can be pretty diverse. From a group of grumpy old men, enforcing 1000 rules and mandatory work, to modern and open flight clubs, encouraging their members to fly a lot, with less to none mandatory working hours. So please don’t give up, in case one aeroclub does not fit your needs!

Dan wrote:

I’ve had different people ask me if I was interested in any of the options above on my field, plus I have at least 3 airplanes I can take out and fly just for gas at any given time. We have airplanes literally sitting around, whilst their owners just don’t have the time to fly them… of course, social integration on the field helps
That sounds great! One of my home bases has a lot of available and well-maintained airplanes, but rental prices are pretty high. My second base, where I use to fly cheaper aircrafts, has a clear shortage on good days. No chance for a spontaneous day or weekend trip to Italy or so, as they are often partially or fully booked. So either I pay pretty much per hour or I can have a cheap plane for just a few hours. Maybe I should consider Birrfeld instead?
Last Edited by Frans at 09 Feb 09:55
Switzerland

boscomantico wrote:

Aeroclub Hildesheim

What is ‘Quax-Fond’ under annual costs? It’s 50€ for powered and 25€ for gliding.

I don’t really understand the high joining cost either. Stops time-wasters joining, and disincentivises members from leaving?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

What is ‘Quax-Fond’ under annual costs?

It’s a fond members pay in, which is used for repairs after mishaps which otherwise an insurance would pay for.

EDLE

Capitaine wrote:

What is ‘Quax-Fond’ under annual costs?

Quax-Fond is the best thing we ever introduced in the flight school. We already had some bent gear and small defects and “no-one knew how or who might have been into that”. We nearly lost a plane because the pilot who flew before didn’t tell about the hard landing where one landing gear strut broke.

You know.

Then my parents set up a Quax-Fond where anyone of the renters was required to pay, I think initially 40 Euros per year, now still two-digits per year, don’t know maybe 70 or so. And you know what? As no costs at all are involved in telling about a mishap the rate of notifications about the same raised to nearly 100 per-cent (we had 4000 Euros deductibles before)

It’s really a game-changer. It doesn’t matter whether the quax-fond really covers all damages, however it looks as if it did. But we know instantly if something is broken and my father can fix is ASAP.

Same is if someone finds out about something not working. It’s no question who did it or whom to blame (other than for educational purpose). But you have to get notice of a damage in order to fix it, and now (since more than 10 years now) it’s totally open-minded with renters.

In hindsight I think this joins into the reasons why in more than 20 years of flight school we haven’t lost no one.

Last Edited by UdoR at 09 Feb 17:06
Germany

Capitaine wrote:

I don’t really understand the high joining cost either

Me neither. But it’s quite typical in Germany. You play Golf? Or tennis? Lots of “elite” clubs require these joining costs here.

It’d be a better invest for both parties involved to fly 20 hours instead of paying the joining fees. In my club it’s a moderate fee, and if you join as student it’s outright cheap.

Germany

Thanl you all for the tips and encouragement! I will check all options. I had actually visited AeroClub Hildesheim before but at the time there were major disagreements in the club leadership which paralysed the whole club. That’s two years ago though so it should be resolved by now.

Also, Braunschweig is an option as well albeit a bit farther away. I really miss living 5 minutes from the airfield as I did in EDWF…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Airborne_Again wrote:

But what’s the purpose of joining fees?

Makes people think twice before joining or leaving. I think without it the overall income of a club would be higher because the barrier for joining is lower but then you need someone to deal with all the additional paperwork because some people will leave at the end of October and rejoin in March.

EDQH, Germany
Sign in to add your message