Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your 2021 flying year, how many hours, and aspirations for 2022?

In low-flying years (which to be honest has been the last 5 years at least), it is always surprising just how perishable skill this is. I keep my IFR currency up in a motion simulator and just that takes all my energy to do every 6 months. Some very rusty flying and poircedure going ion there each time. And when you’re in the plane, it’s the same thing – takes a few hours before you’re actually safe. The 90 day rule without passengers is actually a good one – I wouldn’t want to bring anyone up in that first flight in a year (like I had happen this year). The one thing I have found that doesn’t perish is the radio skills – they come right back. It’s like they’re lodged in the back of your head like the ability to ride a bicycle and you can just call on them even after a long hiatus.

UdoR wrote:

Sorry to say that but it’s not easy any more to land there, if you’re not a local. It’s not impossible, but you need training with a local FI first to get permission, which lapses after 6 months. So sadly I removed Wasserkuppe from my personal list…

Hi Udo, sad to hear that. Any recommendation for airport with asphalt-concrete rwy near Schüchtern?

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

That is some year @DutchTraveller! Seriously impressive.

I must admit that I have taken a liking to the SF50. Have yet to fly in one but have sat a few times in it and the movie in my mind starts. (My FI is flying it as an instructor too…)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

18 hours, 10 of which were just to regain my flying skills to the level of the skills test (SEP has expired due to COVID, had to renew).
I was really surprised how bad it was in terms of my flying skills after having a 15 months break.

EGTR

robirdus wrote:

Schüchtern?

You mean Schlüchtern, I assume? Well if it’s got to be asphalt, then it’s either Aschaffenburg EDFC or Reichelsheim EDFB, both not too far, maybe 20-30 minutes by car. But Gelnhausen is a lot closer, despite having a grass strip but they keep it in a really good shape and they’ve got quite some traffic there.

Germany

Thanks, Udo, I will plan for EDFB.

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message