Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does the FAA Foreign Pilot Exam IR, or the 61.75 PPL, require continuous UK/EASA IR, or continuous UK/EASA PPL Class Rating validity?

Are you sure? So you can fly on an FAA license with an expired EASA SEP rating? For what it’s worth, I was told by an FAA officer that’s not the case as it says on the FAA license that “all limitations and restrictions apply” of the EASA license – so if the rating has expired that’s a “limitation”.

@snoopy If you want to add an MEP, for example, yes you need to go through verification again. I have done this and it’s relatively straightforward.

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

I was told by an FAA officer that’s not the case as it says on the FAA license that “all limitations and restrictions apply” of the EASA license – so if the rating has expired that’s a “limitation”.

This interpretation is, I believe, incorrect. But, is it?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Are you sure?

In the case of the FAA you can download the letters from the FAA chief counsel which contradicts what you stated. This might set your mind at ease. If you wanted to be more sure then you could write to the FAA chief counsel office. Or get something in writing. Or just keep everything current.

But I have never seen anything in writing that covers every permutation.

On the flip side the UK caa seems to think differently. So depending on your situation use caution.

Last Edited by Ted at 27 Nov 13:19
Ted
United Kingdom

Are you sure? So you can fly on an FAA license with an expired EASA SEP rating?

Yes, you can also do BFR in gliders and fly on your FAA SEL (that is what FAA CFI & FAA CCO thinks), a friend of mine rents in USA with FAA61.75 with lapsed SEP (he has an EASA medical but no EASA FI is around but he got a current FAA BFR & FAA IR)

I am not sure if an “expired SEP is restriction”? in UK/EASA airspace CAA/EASA regulator & FCL instructors may tell you it’s the case depending how they read FAR & FCL, the same a local UK/EU court judge or lawyer would think the same but away from CAA/EASA jurisdictions, you are back to FAA CFI & Chief Council ways of thinking…

There are no 100% clear answers other than holding dual papers, otherwise it’s matter of where you rent/fly/crash and who you talk? to and what papers they have?

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Nov 13:35
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Charlie wrote:

Are you sure? So you can fly on an FAA license with an expired EASA SEP rating? For what it’s worth, I was told by an FAA officer that’s not the case as it says on the FAA license that “all limitations and restrictions apply” of the EASA license – so if the rating has expired that’s a “limitation”.

Ibra wrote:

I am not sure if an “expired SEP is restriction”?

Everything I’ve read on how the FAA interprets the 61.75 says that there has to be an explicit restriction on the license itself. Not having a SEP on the license – or having an expired SEP is not in itself a restriction – it is a lack of endorsement which is not the same thing. Compare that the FAA has said explicitly that you can fly night VFR on a 61.75 according to FAA rules even if you don’t have NQ on your EASA license.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The night part is especially interesting – do you have the citation for that?

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

I also don’t suppose whether anyone knows if you need to have the underlying type rating? For helicopters this is particularly relevant where UK / EASA you need a type rating for each one, but for FAA it’s a blanket rotorcraft approval up to c.5800kg

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

that there has to be an explicit restriction on the license itself

Maybe some refer to “implicit restrictions”?

Ok, let say it’s the case then how come you can fly IFR on FAA61.75 with “FAA IR test passed” when you don’t have an EASA IR or it has expired, your underlying licence is still “restricted to VFR only”, can you fly IFR on your FAA?

Here is another stretch of imagination, say you have FAA61.75 based on FCL PPL with no equivalent “FAA ratings” (say EASA PPL done in TMG then applied to 61.75), you go to US and get SEL & MEL with “US test passed”, can you fly single and twin pistons on your FAA?

At some point one has to stop taking the most restrictive view of FAR & FCL intersections? just decide at any “time t” what he is flying on and comply with it’s underlying rules? you may swap between FAR & FCL past SS+30min or on VFR/IFR transition or cross borders but you have to be “fully legal” at any given time within the system you are flying on…

Sometimes the laws and the rules are just too permissive

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Nov 17:53
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

As an example of what’s legally possible, my father learned to fly elsewhere, came to the US permanently afterward, then flew in the US for 20 years on a 61.75 and never gave another thought to his non-expiring foreign license (that was what was printed on it), or to his foreign ratings or foreign medical currency – that was all history. The only thing that matters is the ratings earned that would be relevant to FAA regulations and any restrictions printed on the foreign license at the time the 61.75 based FAA Pilot Certificate is issued. The concept of rating expiry does not exist in the US and any FAA ratings subsequently earned are printed on a new replacement FAA pilot certificate.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Nov 17:53

I also don’t suppose whether anyone knows if you need to have the underlying type rating? For helicopters this is particularly relevant where UK / EASA you need a type rating for each one, but for FAA it’s a blanket rotorcraft approval up to c.5800kg

I recall a debate from somewhere many years ago, re the PA46, which can be flown on a 61.75 PPL but which in Euroland needs a Class Rating, and the TP version needs the HPA.

Once the EASA FCL N-reg attack came in about 10 years ago, the local CAA here ruled that your dual papers do need the CR/HPA. But the 61.75 PPL still needs nothing extra. You can fly a TBM on it…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message