Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any way to hold a UK PPL and an EU/EASA PPL concurrently?

From what I remember converting from national to JAR and then to EASA over a period of 20 years, the legal principle is you shall not lose any of your privileges. That’s probably the only legal principle?

So if converting from UK to EASA is a process that does not involve losing privileges, then this should legally be OK, even if it involves losing the UK license. The other way is probably not possible.

Or just questionable work by EASA/UKCAA

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Are you sure. I cant imagine you have to ‘surrender’ your CAA PPL just because you also got an EASA PPL.

I am in the process of getting an EASA PPL with IR and SET rating and PA46 class rating, oh and an EASA Medical as well. When faced with these bureacratic challenges I dont bother with trying to read or understand the rules, I just ask the best flight instructor and examiner I know. In this case Jonathan Shooter of Oysterair has mapped out the path. Its based on a conversion of my FAA licences (not CAA for some reason) and ratings and via the Danish FAA. 1) Eye exam and fill in EASA form 2) EASA Medical, luckily my regular AME Nomy Ahmed does these as well as CAA and FAA, 2) EASA PPL skill test – Mark Gurney Combs at Oxford can do this for me in my cub 4) EASA PPL with IR and PA46/SET ratings – Jonathan Shooter will take care of this, but we have to do it in EASA airpsace, thus quick hop to LFAT from Lydd.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

No, I am not at all sure, but heard this repeated around the place.

The need for two medicals I do understand. Even inside EASA, medicals were complicated, for AME job protection reasons, dressed up as measures to prevent “medical tourism” (following “useful” options in e.g. Hungary this was possibly borderline understandable ).

Interesting route there, FAA to Denmark. That must be the Danish version of the old UK 100hr route. It’s quite funny that Denmark prefers US papers to UK papers Remember Dr Ahmed does not do FAA Special Issuance (actually true for many/most FAA AMEs in the UK) so you will need to find a new AME if you ever need that (Centreline at Gatwick do it).

From what I remember converting from national to JAR and then to EASA over a period of 20 years, the legal principle is you shall not lose any of your privileges. That’s probably the only legal principle?

Sure, but there is a difference: the UK was in JAA and later was in EASA. So I could see the old UK papers getting trashed in that process.

Identical threads merged.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is nothing to prevent you holding a UK Part FCL PPL an EASA Part FCL PPL and a UK National PPL (not the same as a NPPL) at the same time. You will need an EASA Medical for the EASA licence whilst a UK Medical (or PMD) is required for the other two.
EASA prohibits the holding of more that one EASA licence for the same category of aircraft and more than one EASA medical Certificate; that has no effect on UK licences or medicals.
Point to note, you can only fly a UK Part 21 aircraft on a UK issued licence and you require an EASA licence to fly a EASA registered aircraft. You can still fly an Annex 1 G reg aircraft on any ICAO licence including EASA in accordance with Article 150.

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 12 Mar 16:38

That has been my understanding too, Tumbleweed.

What I don’t get is precisely why the UK PPL gets forfeited when you get the EASA one, if you are doing it post-brexit.

Administrator

What I don’t get is precisely why the UK PPL gets forfeited when you get the EASA one

It doesn’t. Assuming you mean the UK National PPL rather than the Part FCL PPL. Because it was not a EASA licence its status was not accepted alongside EASA licences post 2012 for use on Part 21 aircraft. Why the UK has adopted that piece of European legislation under the Withdrawl Act I can’t imagine however; it can now be used on Part 21 aircraft with a PMD.

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 12 Mar 20:12

Assuming you mean the UK National PPL rather than the Part FCL PPL.

No; I meant the latter. Various people, including above, have reported losing the UK PPL upon “moving to EASA”.

it can now be used on Part 21 aircraft with a PMD.

As an aside, it is funny to note that to obtain the UK National PPL (can’t see who would be doing that) you need a Class 2 medical. Only the NPPL can be applied for with just the PMD.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

No; I meant the latter. Various people, including above, have reported losing the UK PPL upon “moving to EASA”.

I believe that is now in the past, as it was solely based on only being allowed to have a single EASA licence. As far as I know, there is in general no problem having multiple licences (I have Canadian, UK, and Danish), but it certainly is a huge pain and cost needing three medicals, separate rating revalidations, and dealing with three lots of bureaucracy.

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

When I changed my UK PPL to an EASA PPL I had to pay to keep both. The UK PPL had some privileges the EASA PPL didn’t have.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message