Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any way to hold a UK PPL and an EU/EASA PPL concurrently?

I think after 1-Jan-2021 they just block all previous experience as it is no longer EASA experience, unless the ATO was a dual-ATO before that date.
Everything we held before the midnight turned into pumpkin, right?

If that was the case, it would be a problem for EASA approved UK based FTOs doing ATPL CPL/IR training. Any training gained before 1/1/2021 would have to be re-done.

We have done this before and I am sure it is not the case. But the FTO would need to have got EASA approved before 1/1/2021 to continue training these students. So maybe a student doing their PPL at a normal UK school has indeed lost their training validity.

Somebody must know the answers to this… I wonder if @tumbleweed does.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m not sure why, what @ Peter suggests would not work, although the DTO/ATO might want to do a check flight before you are put forward to the test. You might also have to do the law section of the theory if the UK’s aviation law is different from that in EASA.
You can of course, at least you can here, do a test in your own aircraft with an examiner. A list of examiners is on the DGAC site. You could take it with a UK examiner providing his/her status is accepted by the DGAC. That examiner just then sends in all the appropriate forms to the DGAC and your licence is issued and the information put on SIGIBEL internet site which both you and examiners have access to for future updates and revalidations of your licence.
Deciding which nation state you want your EASA licence in, my need a bit of thought as there may be different residency or other rules in each of the countries. You would of course also need the appropriate medical.
As a matter of interest I think this procedure might be the same to add a CBIR to that EASA PPL. In other words they take into account previous experience.

France

This stuff was partly done here.

This (“must be a student pilot”) is highly relevant. So you must not have yet passed the UK skills test, to follow this route of doing a skills test at an EASA ATO/FTO. This suggests the “EASA skills test” should be done before the UK skills test!

FWIW the air law exam has been the same for years.

Administrator

I have just realised a possible flaw in my thinking. When you train for and get a PPL in France in a DTO you are more likely to do the exam in French or a mixture of both. When you pass the test the examiner might write on the paperwork Apt to use the radio in the French language which both gives you your radio telephony licence as well a FLP (French language proficiency) level 6.
I think Belgium might be a better bet for an EASA licence as they do their flight tests and training in English.

France

I asked one FTO:

Many thanks for your call yesterday regarding dual licensing. I have heard back from the Head of Training who advised that if you wanted to have a UK CAA and an EASA licence issued then the training would have had to be with a school that have EASA approval. It may be OK to count any training completed before the end of the transition period (31/12/2020), but none after if they don’t hold EASA approval.
May I ask why you’re looking to hold a dual licence? At PPL level it makes little difference at this point due to both being ICAO member states.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I have heard back from the Head of Training who advised that if you wanted to have a UK CAA and an EASA licence issued then his training would have had to be with a school that have EASA approval.

Right, so in my view it means he gets a UK PPL now and then after achieving 100hrs total (including the training hours) he can pass a skills test to convert it to EASA (he also needs pass 2 theory exams at some point). While an inconvenience, it is still a fairly low cost option.
Does he want to go any further (CPL/ATPL)?

EGTR

The reason for holding an EASA/EU PPL is so you can e.g. fly to a French club and rent an F-reg.

For a G-reg, N-reg, and stuff like M-reg 2-reg etc, it is pointless.

The 100hr conversion route has always been there.

I think that FTO reply is wrong, but who knows? It doesn’t matter.

I think he will do the NQ (not possible in the summer), the IMCR and the IR. A CPL is worthless outside an AOC or bizjet/corporate operation. A European ATPL is impossible without 500hrs in a multi pilot cockpit.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

A CPL is worthless outside an AOC or bizjet/corporate operation. A European ATPL is impossible without 500hrs in a multi pilot cockpit.

CPL – Flight Instructor?
ATPL – some bizjets require it too…

EGTR

For FI you need CPL theory only.

Also FI is totally country-specific; no cross-border entitlement.

Administrator

For example this refers.

Has the UK CAA, or EASA, created some sort of “easier” route to convert a UK PPL into an EASA one but a condition of this process is that you lose the UK one?

I don’t get it because you can obviously hold e.g. a UK PPL and a S. African PPL concurrently. Or, like so many of us, myself included, a UK PPL and a US PPL/CPL.

The ancient UK “100hr route” is also obviously available for getting a UK PPL from any other ICAO PPL.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message