Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How do you deal with unfair criticism from other pilots?

The topic title is actually my question: How do you deal with unfair critics from other pilots?

The reason for this question was the following recent situation: During one of my last approaches into LSPV (Wangen-Lachen), I was slightly north of the published traffic pattern, but very minimum and still overhead lake Zurich. At some point, someone talked on the radios in Swissgerman like: “You’re flying above a village, you can’t do that!” I was confused. I looked down and saw water below me, so at first, I thought this call wasn’t for me. But then again: “The aircraft on downwind: You’re still flying above noise-sensitive area, you need to fly over the water!” I looked down again and saw just water. No village, which was clearly further left of me. I continued my downwind and the man was saying again quite angry: “You’re still above the village!!”. But no, I clearly wasn’t, so I just said “negative” on the radio and continued my approach and landed safely on runway 26. I checked my GPS-track on Skydemon, which was clear above the water and outside the red noise-sensitive areas. I was very irritated by it, as I flew a quite new airplane type and wanted to concentrate myself on the landing, instead of dealing with someone how claims something, which is not correct.

At first, I thought someone was complaining from the C-office, but there was nobody there (as usual in LSPV). Later on, I met the one how was complaining about me on the radios. He was an FI and had a student with him. “We both saw you clearly flying above the village. That’s not good, you should keep the traffic pattern very tight.” Then I showed them my GPS-track and both started laughing at me: “Your GPS-track proves nothing, we saw you clearly flying above land and not the lake.” I was completely confused. I just said sorry, wished them a pleasant day, and went away. Later on, I realized that they might had a false perception of me, because they were flying behind more on the left (southern) side. So for them, it might have looked in a way that I flew over the village. But that isn’t a reason to abuse the radios for so long in Swiss-German.

Honestly, I actually hate when “flying colleagues” blame you for something you didn’t do. And why do they want to play air police?! If someone has some helpful feedback, I’m always open to learn something new and thankful if someone points out a real mistake, but this behavior was totally inappropriate. Some Swiss pilots are real nitpickers when it comes to noise reduction policies. It’s a disease on several Swiss airfields. At least I managed to land several times in LSZF (Birrfeld) without any criticism.

To answer the question myself: Deescalate the situation, say sorry, and go away. Even when they blame you for nothing. How would you react to such situations?

Switzerland

“Mind your own business”. That’s it…

EBST, Belgium

I would love to give the schoolbook answer: Just smile and wave…

But in your situation: Odds are 50:50 that I would have turned to the student asking “do you have a second FI to teach you good airmanship or is the plan that you only learn that after your PPL?”

Germany

Just smile and ask him to see an optician: it’s dangerous to fly with so much bad eyesight or judgement and maybe remind him of good RT manners, keep the chit-chat to the ground !

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Jun 18:26
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ah! So you are supposed to distrust the instruments and your eyes and trust HIS eyes?
“Would you like to lodge a formal complaint? No? I thought so.” or “Which part of pi$$ off did you not understand?”

EGTR

Some Swiss pilots are real nitpickers when it comes to noise reduction policies. It’s a disease on several Swiss airfields. At least I managed to land several times in LSZF (Birrfeld) without any criticism.

I couldn’t agree more! As a rule, in each and every Swiss citizen resides a policeman.
All airfields and airports are under constant pressure of the neighborhood, and quite a few people are very quick to phone said airport or the NAA (FOCA) to complaint of any deviation. Same in Birrfeld, where a couple of years ago observers were placed at strategic points to report all deviations from the published pattern…
Only one thing to do, zoom in on the flown traffic pattern and follow it as closely as possible, whilst keeping a good lookout for traffic. Good luck on doing that

Gotta admit, the few times I got reprimanded were of my own doing (or not), so that was easy to apologize.

Well, I digress. Point is that if you followed the published pattern these guys are fools, and you reacted pretty cool, well done. Escalating things is never a good thing…

ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Hypothesis: maybe they meant you were too far North and overflying the shore of Rapperswil?

For general comprehension, here the tight dumbbell shaped traffic pattern of LSPV

ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

This does seem to be a German thing, I think there is something about forcing compliance to the groupthink.

I try to listen to see if there is anything reasonable in the criticism that I could learn something useful from. However, if it’s just someone being an idiot them I will just disagree and leave them to it.

Seeing above what an airplane is flying is actually quite hard due to parallax. That’s also how people on the ground can with 100% honesty complain an aircraft was flying directly above them (they “looked up” and there it was), while in fact it was hundred(s of) meter(s) away. They didn’t look up 90°, but only 75°…

ELLX

@Frans

Welcome to Switzerland!

Funny traffic pattern indeed.
Reading your sad story I have the strong desire to fly there again very soon and practice my skills.
10 x touch & go to start with…

62 Posts
Sign in to add your message