Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New UK PPL student

Capitaine wrote:

I’ve done LFAT-EGKA in a PA17

You don’t meet many fellow PA17 pilots on EuroGA :-)

EGLM & EGTN

Amateurish wrote:

I have just successfully completed my first ever cross channel flight, from the UK to Belgium, in a C152

Good news, and thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

It must have taken a while in a C152 I’ve done LFAT-EGKA in a PA17 with an average groundspeed of 57kts. Time dragged…

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Just read that the post is old and you’ve got the PPL. Awesome. And first trip over the water. Congratulations. Keep going. And going. And going. Best of luck.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Simon Coombs is your man. Delightful guy who did my IR five years ago. Once you’ve got your PPL and have done a few long legs on your own, book him in for a trip to iron out stuff with you. Worth every cent. His local airfield is…. Wellesbourne. Been to Annamasse loads when climbing in the Alps – just make sure you really know your weather and airspace before you get an IR. If you want to fly loads in Europe with the family, that’ll be the first thing on your list. Best of luck with it all.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Congratulations Amateurish!!

Keep going.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Amateurish wrote:

Hello all, I’ve just started the GA journey by starting my PPL training in the UK now that flying schools have reopened for non-commercial training. My aim to to travel around Europe both solo and with my family of 4. In more “normal” times I would travel to Europe 10+ times a year by car, train and plane, so would hope to be able to do this myself in the the future.

Just provide a short update to this thread which I started a couple of years ago: I have just successfully completed my first ever cross channel flight, from the UK to Belgium, in a C152. I’m looking forward to expanding my horizons and still hopefully taking my family with me in the future!

Wellesbourne EGBW, United Kingdom

Congrats!

If you are interested in flying abroad, I’d recommend to continue as soon as possible with proper IR theory and training. Many parts of the IR theory are quite similar to PPL theory with just a little bit of extra added. When things are in fresh memory after PPL lessons, it is much less effort to do the IR theory lessons and exams. For IR flying get an instructor who is happy to fly with you around Europe rather than do back and forth approaches at your local airport. This way you really learn the practical IR flying.

Flying abroad involves crossing open waters also in Finland. As regards aviation, Finland is an island. From Helsinki fly heading and you end up to:
0-90 Russia (better take the risk of ditching than flying that direction)
90-350 Open waters
350-360 Norway

I try to minimise risks by flying high enough to remain within gliding distance to coastline whenever practical. Crossing Gulf of Finland towards Estonia you’d need to go up to around FL100-FL120.

Finland

Congratulations on the PPL, and definitely the right call to pursue the IR. I totally agree with everyone else on just going for it, as it’s best to break some of those mental barriers as early as possible. The first time you do it you’ll realize it’s no big deal. I also have learned to always be talking to someone and using flight information service if VFR, because you’re less likely to get into trouble and able to quickly get help if you face difficulty. Prepare well and armchair fly the entire flight so you never feel behind the airplane. Good luck and post a report!

EHRD, Netherlands

Thanks for all the encouragement

Wellesbourne EGBW, United Kingdom

Go for it Amateurish. I went to France (and indeed Spain) almost immediately post-PPL and I think it was easier than flying in the UK.

There is a little bit of paperwork but if you post any particular airport pair we can give you a checklist.

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom
50 Posts
Sign in to add your message